Chapter 14

"Come on! It's so close!" Mina Ashido was standing beside Momo Yaoyorozu. They were both watching intently as Ochako was doing something.

Ochako was in a squatting position across from a bush. She had one arm outstretched towards something. "It's ok, kitty. We're here to help you."

The cat started hissing. It was so soaked from the rain.

"The poor dear... It's too scared." Momo's brows drew together in concern. She was holding an umbrella. The cat seemed frightened from the sounds of the raindrops hitting the top of it.

Hawks shook his head. The way they yelled seemed like it was trouble. But Mina was the loud one, startling the cat more.

He waltzed over to them, using his wing as a shield to help keep the kitty dry. "This should do it. Cats tend to like me."

Amazed, the girls saw the cat come out. It was studying Hawks's feathers as if he was a bird. He wasn't kidding. Cats do like him.

The poor thing was shivering.

Ochako stretched out her hand again. The cat sniffed it a few times and then cautiously took a step closer. "See? No one mean is here."

She stroked the cat for a minute. Eventually, it started to become more relaxed. She slowly lifted the fluffy bundle into her arms.

"Wow, Hawks. You're like a cat whisperer or something." Mina posed with a smile.

Ochako planted a kiss on the cat's head. "I think he thought that he was about to eat dinner."

Instead of a snarky remark coming from Hawks, he just nodded. "Sounds about right."

He had a sad smile on his face as he recalled how Satoko called him a 'chicken'.

'Stop that, chicken.'

He noticeably sighed.

Momo made a soft, small blanket from her wrist. She helped wrapped the cat in it to keep it warm.

It was no secret of the rumors that had been going around about Hawks. They can even tell that he seems off.

Ochako noticed the look on his face first. "We don't know the full situation, but...I don't believe that you would kill anyone because you want to. Something must have happened, right?"

It was clear from Ochako's attitude that she was putting her hopes on Hawks telling the truth. She still trusted him to do the right thing. Momo and Mina seemed to be of the same mindset.

"Yeah." Hawks replied. "They were trying to kill their family member. Suns-" He quickly corrected himself. "Satoko Takahashi..."

He briefly stated how they were trying to hide her existence. After finding out she was alive, they wanted to get rid of her as evidence.

They could tell from his tone that he had a heavy burden.

There was a strong sense of guilt. He didn't want to kill anyone of his kind, but Fuji acted like a villain. A traitor.

"That's dreadful..." Momo can't even fathom family members trying to kill their own blood.

"Her name is Takahashi?" Mina repeated. She shot Ochako a look.

Ochako gave a small nod towards Mina. (That's probably the lady who was with the villains. Her family sounds really messed up. It's no wonder she ended up in such a bad situation...)

Momo recalled the incident when she first saw Satoko. Hawks would be shielding her and helping her. The way he looked at her was something else. It reminded her of herself when she looked towards Shoto for getting hurt. It was chilly a bit. She felt a slight shiver.