Back To The Start

I woke up the next morning with a pounding sound from outside. I sneaked outside the tent quietly, making sure that I don't wake Agnes up, who is still sleeping and snoring happily on the ground. Surprise, surprise the first person I see are the two people I don't want to see. Carter and Jake. I turned around and walked the other direction hopping that they wouldn't see me.

"Marissa!" The stupid British boy with an accent yelled. I shook my head in anger. Honestly, how can this guy ruin my day twice in a row? "Come here" he added. I walked to where he and Jake were. They stood beside each other with surf boards in their hand. Jake was wearing a white shirt and a yellow and black surfer short, while Carter only wore a blue surfer short and flip-flops.

"You guys are going surfing?" I asked them both.

"Yeah I'm going to teach your pal here, news," Carter said as he slapped Jake's back. I gave them a stare down from head to toe.

"BreakNewsCarter, its a lake", I said pointing at the lake. "You need a beach!"

"Water is water, right men?" he said. I didn't bother reasoning with him, its way too complicated. There's so many ways this could go wrong I though to myself as I watched them race down to the lake. I walked back towards where the RV and grabbed breakfast. Gluten free blueberry pancakes and orange juice, a healthy way to start the day. I ate next to Nancy who's already wearing her purple one piece swimsuit with Ariel ironed on it.

"We're going to the beach, the beach. We're going to the beach" she sang happily throughout breakfast.

"It's a lake Nancy, not a beach" I corrected her.

"So Carter lied?" She asked me. Figures. Carter is the only person who is stupid enough to actually say that a lake is a beach.

"Nancy, don't listen to Carter. He is a weirdo" I whispered to her. She shook her head and raised a thumbs up. Agnes walked towards the RV after her discomfortable night.

"Where's breakfast?" She asked Nancy and me as she stretched her arms and legs.

"It's inside Agnes" Nancy replied to her after taking a big piece of pancake.

"Thanks" she smiled at Nancy, but then rolled her eyes at me. Like I said EVIL. Oh well who cares if she thinks she's hot and I am not. That's her problem not mine.

Nancy jumped out of her chair and immediately started dragging me to the lake.

"Come Issy" she said "Come with me"

I weighed my options; risk the chance of bumping into Jake and his weird british friend or stay her with Agnes, but ill be spending time with Nancy too. This is a no brainer then. I walked down to the lake with Nancy. I spotted Jake and Carter immediately in the middle of the lake on their surf board. Have they been sitting there all this time? Nancy continued to drag me till we reached a part of the lake where there's sand. She let go of my arm and ran to the sandy area of the lake. I've manage to find a dry log to sit on.

The lake, to my surprise, was actually clean. Not as clean as a pool of course but its clean enough for people to swim in it. There were number of speed boats zooming back and forth in lake. Some pulled people in parasail and there were also jet skis too. Of course I can't forget the two idiots who were still laying on their board in the middle of the lake. They should be smarter than this. From a distance you can hear the woodpecker drilling its beak into the trunk of a tree. Yes, this is how a vacation should be. Laid back and just chilling.

It's been three days since I've check my phone and just my luck this place has no service. No updates, no messages. The probability of my parents finding me now just incase I get mauled by a bear is slim to none. Oh well I guess. I clicked on the camera icon on my phone. At least I can still take pictures with it. I've probably taken around 25 pictures when I noticed Jake and Carter started swimming back to shore. Well those two sure know how to waste time I thought to myself. I focused my camera on Nancy who has now moved on making her second sand castle. She flashed a big smile at me as I took the picture.

"Hey look Jake and Carter are walking towards us" she pointed at them. I don't know what is wrong with me but suddenly my stomach wants to flip inside out again, just like last night. I started to panic, my stupid feet started to walk the other direction.

"Where are you going, Issy?" Nancy yelled as I got further and further.

"Back to the RV, ill see you there okay?" I yelled back at her.

I got further and further from the lake and closer to the RV when I heard footsteps behind me. I stopped and looked back to see who it was. Oh crap it's Jake. My pace started to increase, almost like I was speed walking. The footstep started to get faster too. I walked even faster almost going into a run. His footsteps got faster too.

"Get away from me!" I yelled at him as I hid behind the RV.

"What's wrong with you?" He asked from the other side of the RV.

"Nothing. I just," I paused, I can't believe I'm saying these words after what we just said to each other. "I don't want to be friends with you anymore" I felt my heart break as those words came out of my mouth.

"What?" He said.

"I don't want to be friends with you Jake Winstones!!!" I yelled.

"Why?" He asked angrily. "Cut the drama Marissa, it doesn't suit you." He said, his voice was flat. I was unable to pick up any emotions.

"It's... It's for the best" I said. Is it for the best? That's the best line I can come up with. Ugh stupid, stupid, stupid.

"Whatever." He said keeping the same tone in his voice. "Carter wants to remind you about the bonfire tonight" his voice was low. I heard his footstep moving away from the RV.

"Marissa, why are you so stupid?" I questioned myself out loud. "Why did you have to overreact just because of that one kiss, on the cheeks!"

I sat on the ground, unable to move. So this what a break-up feels like I thought. Strange thing is we weren't even dating. Overwhelming feelings took over me and for some reason tears started running down face. Stupid tears. I hugged both my legs in and started crying. I didn't want to stop being his friend, I just don't want anything to do with him while I am confuse of the feelings I am experiencing at the moment. I wiped down the tears on my face and made my way to the front of the RV. Thank goodness my parents and the Winstones were out hiking. I planet myself on the couch and flicked through the different channel our RV gets. Which is only five.

The door opened after a couple of hours. Nancy came dancing in with her bucket and shovel. Jake followed behind and planted on the couch opposite to me. We sat there in silent, only Nancy's voice from the shower can be heard. He played on his iPad while I started reading a new novel. Guess were back to where started again. Being strangers to each other.