Wishing Star

I placed the bowl of potato salad on the foldable table after I finished making it. The aroma of biscuits from the RV has made it's way outside. My dad has taken the fish off the fire and placed it on table. We are all gathered outside the RV, Carter included.

"Don't you have a family to go to?" I asked him.

"I'm actually here with friends" he said as he took a sip from his drink.

"So what? You have no food over there that you choose to eat here?" I felt Jake elbow me in my side. "What?" I looked at him.

"Get over it, it's just a book" he said, his voice low enough just for me to hear. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. I don't get why he has to stay for dinner. That book murderer.

In a distance a shadow was slowly moving towards our RV, it was too blurry from a far but as it got closer I soon realized that it was Agnes badly burnt from the sun. She was wearing a faded short, a red bikini top and a white cardigan.

"Ow, ow, ow." She wobbled closer to us. All of us stopped what we were doing and looked at her.

"What?" She stopped and stared at us.

"Why do you look like that honey?" Her mom pointed it out.

"I saw her sleeping at the beach." Mr. Winstones said from behind her. "Go and shower." He told Agnes as he pushed her lightly.

"Ow! Dad!" Agnes yelled as she walked to the RV. Nancy ran outside holding her pink rolled up sleeping bag and a green bag where our tent is. I watched her run around laughing and giggling.

"Okay let's eat." My mom said bringing the biscuit and steamed vegetable out. We all rushed to the table with excitement and relief. I looked over the table with excitement. Jake, like usual, jumped in first and grabbed some food. I took a piece of fish, a spoonful of potato salad and veggies. Too much bread for me for one day. We ate in silence for a while. Few conversation here and there but mostly in silent.

"So where are you and your friends from Carter?" My dad asked across the table, breaking the silence.

"We're from London, just here for the holiday" He smiled. No wonder I detected an accent earlier. Focus Marissa who cares if he is british. Focus.

"Your parents know you're here?" My mom said.

"Of course." He said laughing. "It was actually my dad's idea to visit Canada."

"That's good." My mom said passing a bowl of potato salad to Nancy. "How did you and Jake become friends anyway?"

"Yeah why don't you start from the beginning." I looked at him, still boiling mad.

He let off a big smile followed by a laugh. What a weirdo. Are all the people in London this weird? Cause if they are, then my plan of going there is now CANCELLED. Go, go tell them how you sprayed me with water earlier. Go tell them how you got my novel soaked. Go tell them how you totally ruined my day today. Such a weirdo. 

"I actually owe Marissa a new book.' he said awkwardly. Like I said a while ago, a total WEIRDO.

"Why?" Agnes asked as she came out of the RV, finally done taking a shower. "She already got like seven books here, just imagine her bookcase back at home."  

"I accidentally got her book wet today while me and my buds were having a huge a water fight." he replied.

"Don't worry about it, Marissa has a lot." my mom said out of nowhere.

"What?" I said disagreeing with her. My own mother is siding with this weirdo, how can she betray her own daughter? Can my life get anymore worse? My own mother siding taking his side and not her own daughter. I just want to hide in a hole now. How could she say that? It is not okay that he soaked my book and I am determine to make him pay. I am surrounded with weirdos and lunatics. A never ending torture I tell you.