Chapter 14

Chapter 14

All Rights Reserved

*Heather's POV*

I wake up Wednesday morning and head to my closet. I pick out a pink fitted t-shirt and black skinny jeans with my grey uggs. I grab my backpack and head out the door. I hop into my car and drive to school.

I park my car in the junior parking lot and get out. I notice Chloe a few parking spaces away getting out of Alyssa's car. She doesn't acknowledge me whatsoever.

"Heather!" Rosie shouts as she runs over to me. "I have the hat with our names in it and I wanted you to do the honors of writing your name and putting it in the hat." She hands me a blank piece of scrap paper as wide as my hand. I take the pen she hands out to me and I write my name neatly on the paper. I slip it into the hat and hand Rosie back her pen.

"I can't wait," I whisper and she smiles.

"Let's go. Sarah, Christina, Morgan, and Victoria are waiting for us," she states and we head across the street. We head into the school building and into our homeroom.

All of us are in the same homeroom, which is great. The only thing is that Chloe and Alyssa are here as well. Chloe sits right next to me and shares the same desk space as me, too. It's extremely awkward today whereas we used to talk like there was no tomorrow.

"Ok, class, I have the list of names of nominations for the Spring Formal Court," Mr. Banks explains as he holds up a piece of paper. "For Spring King, Kyle Gulpings, Fred Densons, George Dippers, Nick Robinson, and Victor Hollings. For Spring Queen, Hilary Howard, Clarisse Ekart, Melonie Roberts, Delanie Becker, and Tilly Meyers. For Spring Prince, Jake Sanders, Carl Frackter, Benjamin Nelson, Joey Grops, and Walter Hepton. For Spring Princess, Rosie Little, Heather Howard, Chloe Anderson, Sarah Salmons, and Morgan Frison."

"How did Chloe get nominated?" I hear Rosie ask someone behind me.

"I don't know, but that spot should be mine," I hear Victoria reply. I sneak a peek at Chloe and I can tell she hears them as well. I feel so bad for her. Why should I? She doesn't care about our friendship anymore.

Homeroom finally comes to an end and first period comes along.

"Congratulations on getting nominated," Christina exclaims to me in the hallway.

"You aren't upset that you didn't get nominated?" I ask and she laughs.

"I was hoping I wouldn't get nominated. I have major stage fright and if I was and I beat Rosie, you have no idea what she would do. She would be upset, no doubt, so i kind of feel bad for you. I am a little shocked as to how Chloe got nominated, though," Christina replies.

"I don't know," I state and think back to Monday. I voted for Chloe.

"I also don't know how Jake got nominated either," she wonders. I voted for Jake as well.

"Well, maybe more people like him than you think," I state and she laughs.

"I wouldn't count on it. He is low in the high school food chain," she exclaims and I chuckle.

"Who knows?" I ask then head into Honors Literature.

Morning classes go by quickly and before I know it, lunch time. I sit with Rosie and the group. She holds out the hat and I pick a name. I get Sarah.

"Heather, we don't tell each other who we have because we want it to be a surprise for tomorrow," Victoria explains.

"That seems fun," I state and look down at my plate.

Lunch goes by and really all I can think about is the Spring Formal. I don't know who might win any of the nominations. It's weird though because my sister also got nominated. She got nominated last year, too, but she lost to her best friend. I remember how upset she was, but she didn't let that ruin her friendship. She said the friendship was too valuable to lose over something as stupid as becoming Spring Princess.

I sigh. I always thought Chloe and I were inseparable. I guess not. Well, I guess it is all my fault, but I found new friends. Why should that be a crime?

The end of the day comes quickly and I drive to my house as soon as school ended. I need time to think everything over and I definitely need time to udnerstand exactly what this week held for me.

I look in my closet and to my luck, I find a pink plaid shirt hanging up neatly on the top rack. I don't usually wear plaid and I never knew I had that shirt, but I'm glad I found it.

I take it out of the closet and set it on the end of my bed for tomorrow. I crawl into my bed and fall asleep instantly. I couldn't care less about the time at all. I am tired and I need my rest.

**the next day**

I wake up and slip into the pink, white, and black plaid shirt with a pair of white skinny jeans. I also find a pair of pink sneakers I haven't worn in maybe a month. I grab my backpack and head out to my car. I drive to school and park the car in the junior parking lot.

"Heather!" Morgan shouts as she runs over to me. She's wearing a blue blazer and I can tell she got Rosie. "You got Sarah, didn't you?"

"Yes and I can tell you got Rosie," I reply and she smiles.

"This is honestly my favorite day. Let's go over to Rosie. It looks like she's wearing a polo shirt, which means she got Christina," she notices Rosie's orange polo shirt. I giggle. It looked silly, but I make sure Morgan doesn't notice my laughter.

I see Sarah, Victoria, and Christina by her side. Sarah has on purple stripes, Christina has on a green varsity jacket, and Victoria has on red polka dots. So, Victoria got my name.

Morgan and I head over across the street.

"Well, I am flattered the newbie got me," Sarah states and smiles. "Plaid does look good in pink."

"Thanks," I repsond and she smiles at me.

We head inside where someone pulls me to the side. I look up only to see Jake.

"Jake?" I ask in disbelief.

"Yes, it's me, and ever since I got nominated for Spring Prince, all the cool guys have been talking to me!" he whispers in excitement.

"Well, to be honest, I was talking to Christina and she says that she has no idea how you got nominated considering you aren't exactly cool," I explain and he laughs.

"The football team, soccer team, basketball team, and lacrosse team voted for me! I never knew they liked me so much," he exlclaims and I laugh.

"Well, I have to leave," I state and he smiles.

"I admit, I don't think I like the new you," he states looking me up and down. "I saw what you did to Chloe on Tuesday."

"Rosie made me," I try to justify my evil action.

"Heather, Rosie will make you do a lot of things, but you have to know when to draw the line between still being a nice person. You can be a girly girl and nice at the same time, you know?" he asks and I just shake my head.

"Everything is ok. I have everything handled. I won't do anything else to Chloe. I'll try not to. I see how much she goes through and Rosie gossips about Chloe all the time. I will try not to put any more hurtful things on Chloe's plate," I explain.

"You know, you becoming one of Rosie's group members has affected her a lot," he states and points over to Chloe and Alyssa talking. Chloe looks as though she might cry. "See?"

"Do you still like her?" I ask.

"Well, when people move on to new people, it hurts. But, you have to move on. I guess that is what you think Chloe has to do, right?" he asks and I nod.

"I guess so," I mumble.

"Well, I hope you choose what's right," Jake states and heads to homeroom. I catch up to Rosie and the group just in time to enter my homeroom.

I want to do what's right, no doubt, but I don't know what's right in this point of time. Rosie is suddenly really nice to me, and I don't want that to go away.