Chapter 23: An Unpleasant Surprise

Chapter 23

Drew

Four days after leaving Lori, I knew I had to tell her about Jared, but she was set on him being a best friend and only that. Oh Lori, if only you knew. But I couldn't tell her, I knew how she would react. And I couldn't bear the fact that she would look at me with contempt.

By now, she would be in her room. Sulking around the house as I was doing. I felt like I had to be close to Lori. At all times. Like she's in danger everywhere she goes. I don't know but I had this feeling that Jared won't give up on hurting her.

Which is why I decided to go Lori's house. But first, I needed advice on what I should do. And who helped me most? Jim, the old guy at the hospital. He helped me most. Told me do the riskiest thing ever. And I had to go and thank him, as well as ask again.

I walked down to the garage and slipped into my matte coated Mustang. I rushed passed several houses and then past the park and I was at the hospital. I parked and got out. I hurried over to the receptionist desk as soon as I got in.

"Yes?" She asked politely, brushing her blond hair out of her face.

"I'm uh looking for Jim in room B71." I said calmly.

"Family?" She asked as she typed in the name.

"Uh, yeah." I said, lying my ass off.

She gave me a sympathetic look and I had no idea why. She got out of her booth and walked out to me.

"I'm sorry to tell you but Jim Philips died a night ago." She said, placing her hand on my shoulder, she had that motherly face and this gesture was probably trying to comfort me.

"Oh, he did?" I said, I know I didn't know him, but I felt sad.

"Yeah, I'm sorry." She said.

"No, it's fine, barely even knew my grandfather." I said, which wasn't exactly a lie. I didn't know my grandparents.

Then we just stood there in the awkward silence, I had nothing to say and I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to say "I'm sorry" again.

"Well, thanks I guess. I'm heading out now." I began to walk out. I arrived at the park and walked around when I saw Victor being pushed down. I ran alongside the wall and listened in to their conversation. Thank god it was dark, it helped me blend in.

"Jared what the fuck man!" I heard many punches as Victor tried to get off the rocky floor.

"You care about Lori, right?" I saw the Jared's back as he held on to Victor by the collar.

"Yes I do! Why? What's gotten into you man, stop hitting me!" The beating resumed after Victor confirmed that he still cared about Lori.

"It's light's out for you, buddy." Jared said viciously.

After one last punch, I heard a groan from Victor but I knew he stopped struggling because he was knocked out.

Jared grabbed Victor's arm and draped it across his shoulder, then he began to drag Victor away. Along the way he muttered:

"All that's left is Drew." and he vanished into the night fog.

Oh shit, he probably has the rest of Lori's friends! I knew I he wouldn't give up on hurting Lori! I was just a part. He knew that if the blackmail doesn't go as planned, he would find another way to make Lori suffer. I walked back to my car and got in.

I pulled out my cellphone and dialled Reagan. He picked up on the seventh ring, his voice slightly irritated.

"What Drew." He said, not hiding his annoyance.