Chapter 21: Mission Accomplished?

Chapter 21

Drew

Reagan was going to meet me a block down from Jared’s house once midnight came. I have already observed his house. When I got off the phone with Reagan, it was already nine so we had to do this quickly.

My phone began to ring and I saw that it was Lori.

What the hell is she doing calling me at midnight? She should be sleeping.

But I couldn’t use any distractions. Breaking and entering required you utmost focused attention. If you don’t give it a hundred percent, you won’t notice that you left something out of place.

I ignored her call but trust me, it hurt me that I did. But I had to distant myself from her. Especially at a time like this.

“Hey Drew.” I heard Reagan say. I spun around to find him in a black hoodie.

“Just like old times eh?” I whispered.

“Yeah. Like old times.” He chuckled. We placed our hoods up and we walked on the streets of the block we were on. No cars had been passing for the past hour so we were good to go.

We were rearing the end of this block and the start of Jared’s when we heard a car pull up from behind us. I was being slow about it so Reagan quickly pushed me out of the way and onto the lawn of Jared’s house.

“Fuck you idiot! It’s him! We have to get into the shadows or else we’re fucked!” I whispered fiercely.

“Calm down! Let’s go.” Reagan grabbed my arm and we were squatting over to the side bushes.

“These have thorns!” I complained while I felt several pokes on my back. I tried to distant myself from the thorns but I ended up grazing a thorn that was hanging out. My flushed cheek felt the sting right after I pulled away.

“Shh. He’s getting out of the car.” Reagan said as he smacked me on my shoulder, telling me to shut up.

We were watching Jared step out of his gray car and headed into his room. The light turned on and was left like that for a while. In the meantime, Reagan was asking me about the whole house situation.

“Parents?”

“Out of town.” I replied.

“Any pets?”

“Not that I know of.” I said sheepishly.

“Damn it Drew! You were supposed to find out all these little details! That’s why we almost got caught the last time. You forgot to see if there are pets!” Reagan whispered.

“Don’t worry! I know for a fact that he doesn’t” I continue looking at Jared’s window while Reagan is watching me.

“And how do you know this?” He said skeptically.

“Did you hear any barking? Damn Reagan use your hearing, or is that nearly gone too?” I chuckled softly.

“Shut up man. Okay, so there isn’t a pet to throw our cover off. The hell is he doing at this time?” Reagan asked.

“Probably tried to get laid or something. Wasn’t successful.” I muttered.

“Drew! His light turned off!” Reagan and I turned our heads to see the once lit room now unlit.

“So what we wait until he’s asleep or something?” I asked.

“You know we do. Stop being so anxious.” Reagan answered back casually.

“Well now we can get out of this damn thorny bush. Fuck.” And another thorn grazed across the same cheek. The stinging sensation wasn’t as burning anymore. It was just annoying now.