•C h a p t e r F o r t y - O n e•

"Where have you been?" my mom asked, moving her hands to her hips.

"At the soup kitchen," I answered vaguely, stepping into the house.

"That's where you went, instead of coming with us for breakfast?" she scoffed, rolling her eyes. "That place is crawling with the homeless and drug addicts."

My mouth opened, then I shut it before saying something I'd regret.

"And so what, they don't deserve to eat?" my eyebrow shot up. My eyes landed on my dad, standing at the top of the stairs, leaning over the banister. He shook his head, giving a slight nod over at my mom. That was enough to warn me to not provoke her, only, I didn't have the energy to listen.

"That's not what I meant and you know it," she crossed her arms over her chest.

"What did you mean then?" I challenged.

"What would happen if someone we knew saw you there? How would we show our faces to their galas and dinners?" she asked rhetorically. "They'll think you're one of them."

"This is unbelievable," I rolled my eyes, attempting to brush past her.

"I'm not finished, young lady," my mom said sternly. She stepped in front of me, blocking my path to the safety of my room. "You have been making excuses for the past two weeks to avoid coming with us to these events. That needs to stop."

"Hey, what's wrong?" Liam's voice sounded from behind me. I turned around to see him standing outside the door. "Hey, Mr. and Mrs. Wilson."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. Liam had great timing.

"That's who you were with?" my mom's eyebrows shot up. "Is this why you broke up with Hunter? Or why you never come with us to dinners?" 

"What? No mom," I said quickly, in indignation. My dad began making his way down the stairs, which I was thankful for. This discussion needed a mediator.

"With all due respect Mrs. Wilson, Hunter is not a good person," Liam spoke up behind me. "That's the reason why they broke up."

My mom narrowed her eyes slightly at Liam's comment and I let out an irritated groan, gritting my teeth. Liam's words only seemed to add fuel to the fire. For once, I just needed him to keep his mouth shut. I shot Liam a glare, to which he only shrugged to.

"How dare you speak to me like that in my own house," she scoffed. She turned to me, her nostrils flaring. "Apparently a stranger knows my own daughter better than me."

My dad stopped at the bottom of the stairs. His eyes met mine as he shook his head. He didn't have to say anything. I knew that he was warning me not to lose my temper.

I sighed again, breathing deeply through my nose to calm my blazing cheeks.

"Liam, outside," I said through clenched teeth. He obeyed without a word, stepping away from the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" my mom demanded. I gave her with a flat expression as I followed Liam out the door, slamming it shut behind me.

Within the few minutes I'd been in my house, the sun had started to set, creating a bright pink and orange glow that lit up the sky.

"What was that about?" I snapped, glowering at Liam as I crossed my hands over my chest.

"I was being honest," he shrugged, "and trying to help you. Your mom was being unreasonable."

"Oh my god. For the last time, I don't want your help!" I said, exasperated. My brows lowered as I glared at Liam. "I don't need you to be some sort of hero that you always feel like you have to be."