•C h a p t e r T w e n t y - N i n e•

"Thalia, Avery is here!" my mom's voice boomed from downstairs.

"Crap," I glanced down at the mess on my bathroom sink, scattered with my make up and the straightener I was supposed to use this morning.

Avery was early, almost half an hour early and I was yet to be presentable. I shrugged, Avery could wait just a few more minutes.

Last night, I'd slept like a log. Liam had helped me call someone to tow my motorcycle and to get the tire fixed. He left not too long after that and I was so exhausted that I collapsed onto my bed, falling into a dreamless sleep. It seemed as though what had happened yesterday with those men hadn't affected my sleep.

I quickly slapped on a layer of mascara and threw my hair up into a pony tail, my lips twitching up. It had been a while since I'd put my hair up. Hunter had hated it and I hadn't done it since I broke up with him. Thankfully, I'd already thrown on a floral mini-skirt and a regular white tee.

The cut on my face was barely noticeable, some had even started to scab over. I put on a thick layer of concealer over it and the cut and bruise had become a small discolouration.

With one last look in the mirror, I hurried out of the bathroom. I grabbed my backpack that sat next to my desk, and the textbook I hadn't bothered to put in my bag from my desk before exiting the room.

"Thalia!" my mom shouted again just as I stepped onto the first stair. Her voice sounded more piercing than usual.

"I'm coming," I called back, rolling my eyes. I glanced into the kitchen as I walked by, catching a glimpse of Jackson stuffing a bagel in his mouth. Of course my mom sitting on the table with her phone.

Just as my mom said, Avery's car was parked on my driveway when I opened the main doors. I could make out every word of Avery's music as it vibrated loudly through her car.

"Hey," I greeted as I swung open her car door, plopping down onto the passenger seat.

"You seem way too happy to be going to school," she watched me with a perplexed expression.

I set my backpack and textbook onto the floor by my feet, my brows furrowing, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, what happened since yesterday? I saw you not even twenty four hours ago," she wriggled her eyebrows at me, eyes glistening. "And you also didn't freak out at me for being like twenty minutes early."

"Nothing happened," I rolled my eyes as Avery began backing out of my driveway.

I turned my head to stare out the window, to prevent Avery from seeing my cheeks that were beginning to grow warm. Avery drove down the street, the houses, cars and trees passing by in a blur.

There was no way I'd admit to Avery that Liam and I kissed last night, even if it was the best kiss I'd ever experienced. The kiss was everything I'd imagined it would be like two hundred years ago. I'd felt like I was floating on cloud 9 — I still did.

"You're absolutely glowing — I don't believe you," she snickered. "But it's fine, you better tell me one day, when you're ready."

For now, it would be my sweet secret until I was sure I knew what was going on between Liam and I. Unfortunately, this secret is was also Jackson's since he decided to use my bathroom out of the multiple in our house.

"Yes, of course Avery. Who else would I tell?" I drawled, turning back to look at her.

"True," she snorted.

Avery reached out, blasting a rap song as she turned up the music on her stereo. The vibrations shook my body, and no doubt the neighbouring cars could hear every inappropriate word of the song. The only time she turned down the music was to tell me about a date she'd gone on with a Tinder match the other day.