•C h a p t e r T h i r t y - O n e•

I slipped on a black lace dress, glancing into the mirror. It was pretty and elegant, flaring out at my waist. I glanced over at the pink version of the same dress, pursing my lips. Pink was the better option.

I poked my head out of the the fitting rooms, taking a peek at Avery. She sat on the chairs outside my room, her five other shopping bags sitting at her feet as she scrolled through her phone.

"So, which one?" she asked, glancing up at me.

"Pink," I replied, stepping out. "I can't believe you bought so much, you didn't even need to shop for tonight."

The week had passed by smoothly, and now, my mom had forced me to buy a new dress for the get together she was hosting. She was adamant about having me meet some other guys my age, and because I didn't have another choice, I agreed.

"You can never have enough clothes," she shrugged. "Besides, it's a good outfit that catches the eyes of hot dudes."

I nodded, seeing reason behind the statement as I closed the curtain behind me. Though, I didn't want to catch the eye of everyone — just one person. I entered the fitting room again, sliding off the black dress and pulling on my t-shirt and jeans.

"So, are you ready to tell me what's going on between you and Liam?" Avery asked. I could imagine the smirk she held on her face.

"What? I never even said anything about him," I swiped open the curtains.

"You don't have to say anything," she told me, eyeing me as she stood up, hooking all her bags around her arms. "I can already tell."

I shook my head, picking up the dresses on the rack as we began making our way out of the fitting room. The store was definitely a high-end one, filled only with business casual and formal clothing.

It had been a whole week since Liam and I had kissed, and I'd kept it from Avery. We rarely ever kept anything from each other, and I guess having someone to talk to about him was a good thing.

"We kissed," I said as I took a look at more dresses, hanging on the racks in the store. I avoided Avery's bulging eyes as I grabbed another navy blue dress, scanning it from top to bottom.

"Y-you guys kissed and you didn't tell me?" she blinked at me, sounding offended.

I shoved the dress back onto its hook, "That's because I don't even know what it means."

"Is he coming to your house tonight?" she badgered me, as I gave a small nod to the saleswoman. We stopped in front of the cash counter to pay for the pink dress.

"Yes," I finally said, taking out my card to scan on the machine.

"Then ask him what it means," she nudged me and I snapped my head in her direction.

"No way," I shook my head quickly. "I'm not looking for a relationship and I don't need one."

"Well then what do you want?" Avery asked, an eyebrow raised. I grabbed the bag from the counter and we began making our way out of the store and into the mall.

"I don't know. I just don't want to fall down another hole like I did with Hunter," I sighed.

And also into a hole much like two hundred years ago. I thought silently. I knew Avery wouldn't understand, but I just needed to be able to be there for myself, and only myself. I didn't really need anyone else.

"Makes sense. But you'll never know what Liam is like until you try..." she trailed off, glancing over at me expectantly.

I only chuckled at that. I was sure I'd figure it out with Liam with time.