Chapter Three: Newfound Friend !

**Hey guys ! Fair warning is that this chapter is gonna be kinda short because life happened and I completely forgot to update. Completely. Forgot. I got Shippo-chan's message asking if I was gonna update and I went into a sheer and utter panic. So I'm sorry if it isn't the best, I'm sorry if it's kind of short and shoddy, however, it's an update, and, as much as I hate it, school comes first ! But I passed my TEAS test, so maybe now I'll have more time to focus. I'm really sorry guys !!**

~~A few days later...~~

<Myla's POV>

After spending some quality time with Laura, discussing what was happening, I felt a little better. At least I knew I wasn't alone. Trying to shake off the events of the past few days, I forced myself to take a deep breath, and try to get back into my normal groove of getting ready for work.

Laura, who had stayed the night, was still passed out on my couch, but after knowing her for so long, I didn't really care. She'd either leave, or wait until I got home. I only worked four hours today, and knowing the way she slept, she probably wouldn't even be awake when I got home at 2. My hair was a disaster, and I didn't want to mess with it. So up into a bun it went, and the makeup was minimal. I threw on my uniform, scratched Rosie's ears, and headed out the door.

On the drive there, I couldn't stop thinking. Why was this happening, and how? I've been tallying in my phone how many of our beloved characters we came across. So far, we've gotten three.. Kiba at my place, Kankuro at Walmart, and Gaara at the coffee shop. I rubbed my forehead, turning up my radio. Fall Out Boy blasted through my speakers, and I tried to lose myself in the sound of the music instead of tormenting myself on facts that I couldn't explain. Why couldn't I just let it go? Why did I have to concern myself ? It wasn't my problem. So what if they were here ? So what if they were roaming around my hometown? Why did I care? Because I was a hardcore not-so-closet fangirl, that's why. I groaned.

I pulled into work, shaking my head. Focus, Myla. This is more important. You need the money. I walked in the door, greeted my coworkers, and then took my place behind the register.

The first three hours went as normal. I saw several adorable little puppies, and helped their frazzled owners find the right food, the right cages, and the right toys and beds. I directed wide-eyed children to the pets of their dreams. I even, as much as it disgusted me, helped an ecstatic little girl pick out a long, lethal-looking snake to call her very own. Her mother seemed about as enthusiastic as I was.

The highlight of my day was when we received news that we were finally getting another shipment of kittens in. Our store only sold kittens once or twice a year, three if we were lucky. The local shelter would bring in kittens every so often, and they would be placed in our local little store for adoption. Since I was a regualr volunteer at the shelter, I was usually the one that was the "kitten specialist" when they came in. I worked with them, cleaned their litter, played with them, and showed them all the love they needed. I was usually pretty heartbroken to see them go, but I knew I couldn't take them... Mama would have a cow. I swear, I was going to die alone with 40 cats. And I might just be okay with that.

I had a half an hour left of work, and I was leaning on the counter, looking at my phone. Laura was apparently awake, and sending me multiple selfies of herself in my kitchen, helping herself. I chuckled. She was so weird. The little bell above the door rang, and grabbed my attention.

"Hello," I said automatically, used to greeting customers as they walked in. I looked up as I slid my phone back in my pocket, and my breath hitched.

"Hey," Kiba said, walking up to me. "You're the girl that found Akamaru!"

"Yeah, that's me," I said, struggling to put words together. Put me in front of a computer, or give me a notebook, and I'm a genius with words. Put me in front of a person, and I suddenly became stupid. Akamaru wiggled in Kiba's jacket, and jumped out onto my counter, tail wagging. I giggled, picking him up and setting him on the floor, kneeling down to play with him. "Can I help you find something?" I asked, looking up at him, trying to act normal.

"Yeah, I need some stuff for him. Food, mostly," Kiba said, watching me play with Akamaru. I nodded and stood up, the little white dog still prancing around my feet.

"Sure thing, right this way," I told him, motioning for him to follow me. Trying to act casual, I asked, "I haven't seen you around much before, are you new here?"

"I guess you could say that," he said. I picked up a tennis ball, and dropped it on the floor, giggling as Akamaru scrambled after it with gusto. He brought it back to Kiba, begging him to play, trying to bark with the ball in his mouth. I laughed.

"He really loves you," I mused. He chuckled.

"Yeah, we're pretty close. I never really got to thank you for finding him. When I ended up here, and he wasn't with me, I kinda freaked out a little," Kiba said. I smiled slightly.

"I took good care of him, it wasn't a problem..." I said. He looked at me.

"You usually take in dogs that you don't know?" He asked. I shrugged.

"He was healthy, I figured he had to belong to someone... I let him bunk with me and my cat for a few days, if no one came for him... I was gonna bring him here, as a mascot for our store," I said truthfully. He nodded.

"I appreciate it," he said. I felt my cheeks flush a little.

"Yeah, no problem," I said. Then, without knowing why, I blurted out, "My friend has a dog, too, his name is Lucky. Cute little guy."

"Oh, so you're used to dogs?" he asked. I shook my head.

"Nah, I'm a cat person, but I've been around dogs a lot. I work at the local shelter, so..." I trailed off. I was talking to my anime crush. In real life. Insert fangirl squeal here.

"Shelter?"

"Yeah," I said offhandedly. "I get off of work in about 20 minutes, I can show you the way out there if you want. There's a lot of cute puppies."

Why I said it, I don't know. He probably thought I was crazy, talking to him like an old friend. He was, in a way, to me, but I was a total stranger to him. I pretended like it was totally normal, and to my relief, he didn't seem weirded out.

"Sounds good... How do we get there?"

Once again, my brain didn't ask me for permission, it just acted of it's own accord. "I'll drive," I said. He grinned.

"Sounds good."

Thank God I had just cleaned my car.

After work, I got into my car, Kiba in the passenger side, Akamaru sitting obediantly in the back seat. I turned my radio down before I started the car, so I wouldn't deafen them both. Then, I shot Laura a text.

'I have a date, I'll be home later.'

I chucked my phone in my purse, deciding I'd deal with her onslaught of text messages later. Turning my key, I sighed to myself.

Let's hope that I wasn't making a huge mistake.

**Alrighty, another chapter done ! Sorry if it's a little sucky ! Next one will be better... I promise!! Thanks for reading !! **

-Rei :3