chapter 1

after being accepted to the university of Wisconsin, you couldn't wait to move away from your small town in florida and go away to college. you got accepted into your dream school. you still couldn't let it sink in.

after the many weeks of prepping, packing, and saying goodbyes to family and friends came to a close, you were ready for move in day.

one long flight and a car ride later, you arrived at wisco. hundreds of confused freshman were wondering around, getting copies of their finalized schedules and dorm locations. you arrived at the check in desk with all your belongings packed into one suitcase.

"name?" asked the woman at the front desk.

"zoe mcfarland" you said.

"alright, here's your schedule and your dorm location. you're in dorm 138B, it's in building 3 upstairs. congrats on becoming a badger!" you thanked the woman and made your way to your dorm.

using your room key, you opened the door to find a girl with long, brown hair setting up posters of justin bieber of what appeared to be her side of the dorm.

"hi" you said to her.

she turned around, she looked very familiar but you couldn't put a finger on it.

"oh hi! i'm cara, i'm your roommate!" exclaimed cara.

it clicked. your roommate for the next for years was cara caufield, the younger sister of nhl star cole caufield.

you had packed a new jersey devils poster, but you didn't dare put it up in case cara saw, you couldn't let her know you were obsessed with hockey just yet, you just met her after all.

you've been in love with the idea of cole since junior year, and even more in love with the idea of luke and jack hughes. hockey boys were your thing, and to think you were sharing a room with cole's sister blew your mind.

"okay well i'm gonna go say goodbye to my parents and my brother, they're waiting in the courtyard for me with my last bag." cara said.

wait. BROTHER?! he's here. omg. he's feet away from me. do i go down with her? i can't just sit up here. you thought to yourself. you decided to watch from the window, as your room had a perfect view of the courtyard. you spotted cole looking perfect as usual, scrolling on his phone and taking pictures with fans every once in a while. cole was pretty popular here, as he graduated from wisco a couple years before. you sighed from the window, as you wished you could be one of those girls getting a picture with cole.

you went on your phone, scrolling through instagram and remembered your best friend, carly moved into the university of florida today. you clicked her contact and facetimed her. she answered immediately.

"hiiiiii" said carly, a wide smile on her face.

"how's move in going?" you asked.

"pretty good, i've been settled in for about an hour" she said.

"oh yeah the time change, i forgot." you said.

"GUESS WHAT" yelled carly.

"what???" you questioned.

"my roommate has a brayden point blanket, i'm gonna puke." you laughed as carly made a puking sign with her mouth.

carly was a giant islanders fan, or should you say a giant mat barzal fan, she's been obsessed with him for years.

"i think i have a better roommate story" you said with a smirk.

"oh really, tell me" said carly as she rolled her eyes.

"my roommate is cole caufield's sister."

"NO WAY. YOU HAVE TO GET WITH HIM." screamed carly, as you turned down your volume on your phone, fearing cara would be back soon and hear your conversation.

you put your airpods in just to be safe. you two talked for about another half hour, discussing the pros and cons of getting with cole. (pro: he's a literal nhl player! con: he's short. pro: he has connections to other hockey players *jack hughes* con: his face is squished, as carly brings up many times).

you hear footsteps and assume it's cara. you quickly hang up on carly, explaining you'll text her all the details later.

the door unlocks and you see cara.

"oh hey zoe, i'd like to introduce you to my brother."