(2) Norway, May 1942

If something is typed like this it means they are speaking another language. In this chapter it will be one sentence said in Norwegian.

-----------------------------------------------------

Two Partisans run across the cobblestone floors with ominous clanking filling the air. "Go and tell the Keeper! Hurry!" Erik shouts in Norwegian to the other Partisan, Jan.

Jan continues to run while Erik stops and sets a Molotov down and begins to check his riffle. The Molotov topples on the ground and creates more clanking noises. Suddenly, a huge tank, the Landkruezer, smashes through the building. Erik looks at the tank and sees the Hydra logo. He begins to run, but HYDRA starts firing their machine guns to stop him from running... killing him.

Jan sprints to a lonely stone tower. Once he gets inside he shuts the doors and slams the large timber crossbeam down, locking the door. "They're coming!" Jan says as an old man rushes down the stairs.

"They'll never find it." the Tower Keeper says once he's reached the bottom of the stairwell. The two men become quiet as the clanking noises get louder. The Landkruezer breaks through the walls, bricks and timber falling from the roof and wall knocking the Tower Keeper down.

Once all the dust calms down the Keeper slowly rises to his feet. As he stands he looks around for Jan but sees him dead among all the rubble. Lots of Hydra agents come into the tower surrounding the old man.

A modified car pulls up outside the stone tower, and has the Hydra logo displayed on the hood. A man steps out of the vehicle.

Back inside, the HYDRA men throw the old man onto the ground in front of a stone sarcophagus, which is placed inside of a crypt. The men try to push the huge coffin lid, but fail.

"Quickly, before he-" the Hydra Lieutenant tries to say, but is cut off when he hears footsteps. Everyone turns to where the footsteps are coming from. A Hydra operative comes through all the rubble, his eyes sunken, his skin pale and waxy. The man is none other than Johann Schmidt.

"It has taken me a long time to find this place. You should be commended." the pale man begins, while towering over the old man on the floor. "Give me what I want, and you will find the Reich most appreciative." Johann finishes.

The old man looks up to the Hydra officer and replies with, "I give you nothing." One of the HYDRA guards gets annoyed and walks over to where the old man is and gets ready to hit him. Schmidt waves his guard off and leans down to be eye level with the Keeper.

"You are a man of great vision. In that, we are much alike." Schmidt says, thinking this will convince the old man to give him what he wants. It doesn't work, because the old man replies with, "I am nothing like you."

"Oh, no, no. I don't suggest that." Johann says while watching his workers struggle with the lid to the coffin. Johann continues, "But what others see as superstition, you and I know to be science. The oldest science."

The Keeper begins to speak while trying to keep the fear from his voice, "What you seek is just a legend."

"Then why do you try so hard to hide it?" asks the slightly annoyed pale man. Schmidt walks over to the coffin and easily removes the lid, smashing once it hits the floor. Inside the coffin is a desiccated corpse and it's holding a blue crystal cube. "The Tesseract was the Jewel of Odin's treasure room", continues Schmidt.

He curiously picks it up, then drops it and it shatters. He lifts the old man up by his shoulders. "It is not a thing one buries." he pauses. "But it is close, yes?" he hisses into the mans ear.

"I cannot help you." the Keeper says, matter of factly. 

To this the HYDRA leader responds "No. But you can help them." He turns the old man to the tank that's pointing out towards the town. "You have friends out there. Grandchildren, perhaps. I've no need for them to die."

The horrified old man quickly glances at a wall on the other side of the room. Schmidt let's go off the old man and strides over to the wall. Once he arrives to the wall he searches it, landing on a carving of a tree.

"Yggdrasil, tree of the world. Guardian of wisdom..." Johann trails off. He scans the roots of the tree carving, finding a serpent. "And fate." Johann completes his previous statement.

The man with sunken eyes presses on the snakes eye, releasing a wooden box shaped like a snake. The old man looks at the wooden box, defeated. Johann Schmidt opens the snake like box. His face lit with a beautiful blue. He stares at the inside of the box, enraptured. The Keeper stares in awe.

"And the Fuhrer digs for the trinkets in the desert..." the man with the snake like box trails off, looking to the old man. "You've never seen it, have you?" Johann asks the terrified man on the floor.

"It's not for the eyes of ordinary men." states the Keeper. Still looking at the man Johann replies, "Exactly." He then shuts the box, the blue light shining from it disappearing. He looks off to the cannon in the distance, thinking to himself.

"Commence firing." says the HYDRA leader. One of the soldiers in the room calls out to the people in the tank to start shooting, and that's exactly what they do. Upset the old man tries to attack Johann, but is held back by other HYDRA workers.

"Fool. None of us can control that power. You will burn." the now angry Keeper states. "I already have." Schmidt says to the old man while pulling out his luger.

BOOM! The Keeper drops to the floor, his blood splashing the HYDRA lapel pin on Schmidt's jacket. His tentacled death's head now a red skull.