(12) YN's Procedure

Kruger grabs the serum and sprints out of the lab. Phillips pulls out his gun, shooting at the man escaping. Steve and YN make their way to Erskine, checking his wounds.

"Doc!" Steve shouts, cradling the dying doctor. The man looks up to Steve, through broken glasses, admiring his work. He smiles a weak, but proud smile. The doctor reaches out to tap Steve's chest a few times, then suddenly stops. He's gone. YN cries over her dead friend. Steve stares for a moment, then looks up with rage filling his eyes.

In the antique store, Kruger bursts out of the back door. The owner pulls out her submachine gun. Kruger cuts her down, taking her gun. He runs outside to two suited men blocking his way.

Back down in the lab, Peggy and Steve left to chase the man. All the scientists grab the doctors dead body and remove him from the room. YN remains on the floor. Howard places a hand on her shoulder.

Soon, everyone except YN and Howard have left. "Listen, YN, we don't have to do the procedure today." he says. 

She shakes her, "We're doing it today." she tells him, determined. Howard shakes his head and goes into a room and grabs the serum for her. It's red. "Why's mine red and not blue?"

"Well, yours is different." Howard chuckles. "Now if we succeed-" he realizes what he says and corrects himself, "which we will... We shouldn't tell anyone about it. We need to figure out what your abilities will be and teach you how to control them."

"What do you mean control them? Is this going to give me powers?" the confused girl asks, Howard nods. "Oh..."

"What did you think I meant when I said "abilities"?" the brunette asks, as he begins preparing the chamber for her procedure.

"I thought it would make me like Steve. Just... less muscular... and slightly taller. But, powers sound even better than being a Super Soldier." the girl now squeals excitedly. The brunette chuckles at her actions.

YN and Howard set up everything they need to complete this experiment. "Now, I need you to remove your shirt..." Howard tells her. YN gives him a confused look. "Not like that. Although, we can have fun afterwards. I need you to take your shirt off for this procedure... and your pants. Just do what Steve did."

The girl rolls her eyes and begins removing her clothing. "No funny business, Stark. Got it?" He nods. "Good. Now let's begin, shall we?"

"Yeah, just lay on the table and I'll tighten the straps. Then, I'll turn on the machine. But first I need to give you a tetanus shot." he says walking over to her with a needle. He looks to her, his eyes asking permission if he can proceed. She nods. He injects her with the fluids.

"Okay. Good job!" Howard says treating her like a kid. "Shut the hell up, Stark. And let's get this over with." she says annoyed. He chuckles at her.

He inserts the the serum into the injectors. Once that's completed, he goes over to the controls and pushes a button. The injection pads close on YN's arms. She tenses at the needles coming in contact with her arm.

"Starting infusion in five... four... three... two... and one." the man says pressing a switch. The tubes empty into the injectors, YN's veins swell and her head starts shaking.

Another button is pressed making padded restraints close onto her head, holding her in place. Her eyes glowing a dark red. Howard looks at her slightly confused because the serum is bright red not dark red, but he continues anyway. The tubes now empty.

"You okay in there?" he hears a small 'yes' and takes that as a sign to keep going. He pulls a lever making the table come to an upright position. The panels begin to unfold and the hood drops over her head, locking her inside the chamber.

He then moves one of the switches, bringing the Vita rays back online. He moves over to the dial. "Alright!" he shouts. "This may hurt." Howard whispers. A loud whining noise fills the room. The needle starts climbing.

10, 20... her face starts getting tense. The chamber glows with a dark orange.

30, 40... she shuts her eyes, due to the immense pain. Stark continues turning the dial.

50, 60... the EKG starts rapidly beeping.

70, 80... the glowing fogs the chamber now hiding YN's face. The EKG makes high pitched sounds.

90... YN screams. "YN? Do you want me to stop?" the worried brunette questions. 

"No! I'm okay. Just give it a minute... or 10." she tells him.

After a few seconds, "Okay! I'm good. Continue." Howard turns the dial, reaching 100. A loud whine fills the air. The EKG and orange light die down, then stops.

"YN?" Howard calls out. The EKG comes back on and beeps steadily, while a white light fills the chamber. Stark let's out a breath of relief. He presses a button opening the chamber.

"Please tell me I still look the same." YN says jokingly. Howard stares at her in shock. "Do I look the same?" YN asks with her eyes closed.

"Yeah... yeah. Except for your arms, besides that you look the same." he tells her. YN opens her eyes and looks down to her arms. On her arms her veins are very visible, but instead of being a purple, blue color it's dark red. She looks up at Stark with a worried expression.

"Is this supposed to happen?" she asks, scared of what she might hear. 

"Umm... maybe? Come on, let's sit down." he tells her.

She steps out of the chamber, "MAYBE? What the hell do you mean "maybe"?" she asks now horrified. Howard hands her, her clothes.

"Well, I've never used that serum before. Correction. No one has ever used that serum before, so no one would know what happens. You aren't dead, that's good. Your weird vein thing is fading. And you look fine..." he pauses. "Now we just need to figure out what your new abilities are and learn to control them and we should be good."

YN finishes putting her clothes on, slightly reassured that she's fine. She nods, "So, how do we find out?" She looks at her arms to see they've gone back to normal.

"I'll need some of your blood, run some tests. I have the most advanced technology, we could have results within an hour and they'll be accurate." she nods and lets him take some of her blood.

"So, what did you see while I was in there." she asks him, curious to know what she looked like. 

"I saw what we saw with Steve, except..." he stops. She looks at him worriedly. He starts again, "Your eyes were glowing dark red, just like your veins were."

"Huh. Weird." the h/c says. "Yeah, but we have to wait and see what that means." Howard tells her.

After an hour, the results are in. "YN! Come over here, the results are here." YN comes rushing over to the screen Howard is looking at. She sees words that she's convinced aren't English.

"So, what do I have?" she asks him eagerly. "You have energy manipulation, telepathy, pyrokinesis, and telekinesis. Wow." he chuckles to himself.

YN stares at Howard, lost. "God, for someone who works for the SSR, you're pretty clueless." she rolls his eyes. "But basically... energy manipulation is that your able to create, shape and control all energy around you. Telepathy is reading minds, thoughts and communicate with other telepaths. Pyrokenisis is controlling the fire element, so you can make fire with your bare hands. Telekinesis is when you can move things with your mind. So the red eyes and veins you had earlier is probably because of the fire powers." he finishes out of breath.

"Wow! Awesome! This is great! Now all that's left is controlling all 4 powers. This should be fun." the girl says excitedly.

"You and Steve will change the war and then the world!" Howard says. "We will work on one power then once you've controlled it we will start with the next one. Now go home, get some rest tomorrow we will begin." YN nods and leaves the room.