(13) Hydra and Nazis

Three Nazi officers, Schneider, Hutter, and Roeder walk while looking to a Hydra banner in the distance. They stride behind Johann. "The Fuhrer feels your continued disregard of military protocol is unacceptable." Roeder says to the man still walking.

They pass a group of imposing Hydra troopers posted along the hall. "You serve at his pleasure. He gave you this facility as a reward for your... injuries." Schneider says cautiously.

"Reward? You may call it what it really is- an exile. I no longer reflect his image of Aryan perfection." Johann claps back.

"You think this is about appearance? Your Hydra division has failed to deliver so much as a rifle in over a year. We had to learn through local intelligence you had mounted a full- scale incursion into Norway." Roeder continues.

"The Fuhrer feels- how does he put it?- The Red Skull has been indulged long enough." Schneider adds in. Schmidt comes to a halt. Turning and glaring at the men.

"You came to see the results of our work. Come. Let me show you." Schmidt says ignoring what the Nazi called him. He leads them to a door marked, "ANGEWANDTE IDEE MECHANIK." Two large guards stand on either side.

Schmidt leads the men inside his lab. There, they see Dr. Zola and multiple techs working on a blue cube generator amidst complicated machines.

"Hitler speaks of a thousand year Reich. Yet he cannot feed his armies for a month. His troops spill blood by the gallon across every field in Europe. Yet he gets no closer to achieving his goals." Schmidt starts speaking again.

The Nazi Roeder responds, "And I suppose you still aim to win this war through magic?" He gestures to all the complicated machinery around him.

"Hydra has perfected a weapon which can destroy my enemies in one swift, brutal stroke. Wherever they are, no matter how many forces they posses. All in a matter of hours." Johann tells him.

Roeder looks lost, "Your enemies?" Schmidt points to a map marked with many red pins. "I now wield enough destructive force to decimate every hostile capital on Earth. Simultaneously. Quite simply, gentlemen... I have harnessed the power of the gods." the Hydra leader explains.

The Nazis look to one another. "Thank you, Schmidt." Schneider speaks up. 

"For what?" the Red Skull is now confused. "For making it how obviously mad you are." the Nazi finishes.

Hutter studies the map. "Berlin is on this map!" he tells the other two Nazis. "So it is." the Hydra leader replies. Schmidt pushes a button and a cannon rises from the apparatus, it's chamber glowing with a familiar blue.

Hutter unaware of the cannon continues to speak, "You will be punished for your insolence!" The device begins turning toward the Nazis, calibrating. "You will be brought before the Fuhrer himself."

The cannon shoots at Hutter, turning him to mist. The other Nazis scramble away from where Hutter was hit. Schneider dodges the cannons next blow. Schmidt frowns that he missed. Schneider begins pulling his luger out, but trips. The cannon gets ready to shoot at him again, this time getting him. Roeder backs away to a wall.

"Schmidt!" the last Nazi standing shouts. BOOM! Schmidt looks down to the dead Nazi, unfazed. He turns to Dr. Zola and the other shocked techs.

"My apologies, Doctor, but we both knew Hydra could grow no further in Hitler's shadow." the leader states. The techs move forward giving a two arm salute. "HAIL HYDRA! HAIL HYDRA!" they chant. 

Dr. Zola thinks for a moment before joining in and offering a measured Hydra salute, "Hail Hydra."