First Appearance

As eventful as life can be, your life only takes a day, a moment or a second to crumble down

As eventful as life can be, your life only takes a day, a moment or a second to crumble down. Mine started slowly, with a glance and wild glares on this day.

The dulcet voice of my roommate singing Sweet Night by V from BTS  becomes one of the good things I hear— a great start for the day. I never get used to how melodic she sounds. I sit up on the bed watching her sing with emotions, and it is beautiful! Her voice always makes my day.

I smile, pulling the colorful bedsheet over my arms, admiring how she's swaying as she sings on her study desk. The translucent curtain by the window is halfway open, bringing through the morning light rays and shining on her fair skin.

I clear my throat as loud as I can, hoping it interrupts her and she whirls the study chair around to look at me. "You're up," Myra smiles, tucking her short hair behind her ear and the smile is evident she's in a good mood today.  

"How could I not?" I question and she chuckles, still tucking her hair behind her long ears. She takes off the earbud from her ear and stretches out her arms. I yawn along with her and kick off the duvet from my body. 

"Are you ready for today?" Myra asks, her eyebrows straightened up. Today is the first day of my second year in school. I am not exactly ready for it.

"I should be." I slowly stand up, stretching my limbs and yawning again. Myra stares with her beautiful blue eyes making me wonder what she is thinking about. I am lucky to have someone as pretty and cool as her as my roommate. I feel my second year at the university will be better since my first year was a total disaster. 

In first year, Myra had her blonde hair straightened out, looking like a diva. She switched up her look, cut down half her hair and curled the sides. This short hairstyle suits her oblong face better, I must say. I feel it in my guts that she wants to look different after going through a heartbreak last year—the heartbreak we are not supposed to discuss. 

"You really should start getting ready; you'll be late." She reminds, putting her earbuds back in their pod. I take off my pajama shorts and kick them to the corner side of the room. She looks at me and shakes her head. 

Julius' private hostel, being a few minutes away from the University, makes commuting to school a lot easier. The structure and accommodation are so much better than what we got into in first year. We have a spacious room, an inbuilt bathroom and a balcony, which is a plus for me. 

Myra goes back to singing while I walk to the bathroom to brush my teeth and get ready for school.

Oh, I am not ready for today at all!

I tighten the scarf on my head that keeps my bouncy, curly hair in shape. I am light-skinned, my mother being Ghanaian and my dad American. I was born and raised in the USA. My parents and I visited Ghana at the age of six and I still have a precious memory of our expedition.