TWENTY ONE

next chapter is the last!!

  "she's not going to do anything rose."

  lily's soft voice coos at me in attempt to act as a source of comfort and i continue to bite my nails anxiously.

  "i mean..."

  my head snaps up at dianne's tone.

  lily has always been the soothing friend. especially in a situation like this, she sugarcoats things and always makes sure you're feeling better if you're down.

  dianne tells the truth, in a harsh way but it's only because she cares. this time in particular, i value dianne's opinion more. i know it'll be honest and ultimately will help me in the long run even if the truth hurts right now.

  "she might. but we don't even know what it's about! for all we know she could be asking for money. that's not that big of a deal and ethan has a lot of it."

even in the midst of my confusion she still manages to make me laugh.

"realistically, it probably doesn't even matter."

  lily adds and i groan.

  "y'know, ethan is just downstairs..."

  she trails off, seemingly uncertain of whether or not she should've suggested it.

  she shouldn't have.

  "you think i should speak to him?!"

  i screech and she winces. dianne is quick to her aid, shooting me a disapproving look.

  "rose, we know you're stressed but lily is just trying to help. let's not go against each other because of a confusing situation."

  i glare at the both of them, having my mind made up. i storm out of the room without uttering another word, deciding i'll apologise to lily when i get a chance.

  "tell me the truth. what is going on?"

  my hands are rested on the desk of his office table. he leans back nonchalantly, stretching a little as he does so.

  "she left. i'm gonna meet her later to give her back her stuff."

  "cut the bullshit."

  ethans eyebrows raise cluelessly.

  "what decision, ethan?"

  i notice colour rise to his cheeks which drains quickly.

  "so you're reading my texts now?"

  he exhales heavily as he stands up, walking toward me but i walk away.

  "you're one to talk. now answer my question."

  i'm backed up against the wall, his hands either side of me. i groan in frustration and duck down, slipping away.

  "no ethan! you can't just play the dominant card in every situation and get me to shutup. i'm asking you a question and i'm not leaving your office until you answer me!"

  there's silence that fills the room apart from my rapid heavy breaths.

  "then i'll leave."

  my eyes sting with tears as he walks past me, as if he could care less. as if i didn't give up my relationship with my mom to be with him. as if i'm not carrying his child.

  "ethan!"

  while i follow him i shout his name, tears fighting to spill from my eyes which i blink back. as i walk after him i ignore the silhouettes of dianne and lily watching from the stairs.

  "you're too fucking paranoid. if i'm not telling you; there's nothing to worry about."

  he states matter of factly, as if i'm supposed to believe a word he says. my heart hurts at his harshness. my jaw drops open a little and i bite my tongue as i stand still.

  footsteps suddenly become audible to me and then the sound of lily's voice.

  "maybe we should leave?"

  i only then notice they both have their bags with them. i feel awful for being the one to have invited them here in a desperate act to save myself from awkwardness and now they have to leave because they're uncomfortable over an argument that shouldn't even be happening.

  "no it's fine."

  i take a deep, shakey breath.

  "i'll leave."

  dianne's face drops and lily bites the inside of her mouth. even ethan turns around to look at me, to see i'm already looking at him. i think fast before anyone else can retaliate. my keys are already in my pocket from earlier, so i walk as quickly as i can since i'm tired and don't have the energy to run.

  as a pregnant woman, trying to make a dramatic exit isn't as easy as you'd think it would be.

  i'm extremely delayed, practically waddling to the door and i'm not even halfway there when i feel ethans strong grip pull me back which i try to squirm out of. luckily, lily and dianne step in to try and tug me away from him.

  ethan turns me around and pulls me into his chest and when they head forward, he clutches at me even tighter, placing an uncomfortable amount of pressure on my stomach.

  i watch carefully, trying to read their thoughts.

  they've never been close to ethan.

  in the time we've been friends, they've come around and been near him enough to know he's a good person, funny and caring and whatnot. but they've never witnessed one of our arguments, only ever heard about them. this is probably the worst one yet and unfortunately, i don't think they know him well enough to know what to do next.

  i scan every detail of their faces intricately. dianne's twitchy lip and her furrowed eyebrows. lily's pout and helpless eyes. before i know it they leap at me in unison, the both of them grabbing an arm each. ethan had loosened his grip on me since he obviously thought it was over but is quick to react, protectively wrapping his whole arm around me but jabbing me harshly in the stomach with his elbow in the process. the pain strikes me and i lean over a little.

  it's almost unbearable but i suck it up, grabbing ethans hand and he — very strangely — willingly moves it away at my silent request.

  i turn to lily and dianne, cracking them a half smile so they know they'll be hearing from me soon. they awkwardly stand there and i can tell lily is plotting when the best time to leave is. but the least of my concerns is what they'll do next. 

  without saying anything, everyone finally lets me go. the wind practically smacks me in the face once i open the door and the outfit i'm wearing doesn't do me any justice. my eyes fog with tears again but i don't fight them away this time. i just start walking away.

well well well