SEVENTEEN

"meet your mom?!"

i practically screech at him, sitting forward and wincing at the seatbelt pressing into my stomach.

"yeah. you haven't yet and we've been going out for over a year."

ethan frantically steers the wheel forwards and backwards, reversing and accelerating in attempt to park perfectly. i start to feel sick at how the car is constantly moving but i try to not pay attention to it.

"but that's so scary! i mean, you already know my mom far too well and oh my — your mom definitely came to the wedding. what are they gonna think of me?"

"you weren't there. they don't have to know you're her kid."

there's more steering and turning and i feel myself quickly irritated.

"ethan just park the damn car!"

he glares at me. the car has probably been parked perfectly about eight times by now but he's such a perfectionist and i just wish the car would stop moving.

there's silence and with enough concentration he manages to park well enough to fit his standards within just a few minutes.

he huffs and presses his hands against his thighs.

"rose, i love you. you're going to have my baby. i think it's necessary."

i suddenly feel trapped. i cant argue with that because it's completely true. i'll look like an idiot if i try to so i stay quiet.

"they're going to love you. you already know grayson and he'll be there—"

"they're gonna love me? they're gonna hate me! i'm an 18 year old girl who you knocked up so they'll probably think that's the only reason you're with me. maybe it is—"

he interrupts us me.

"i'm with you because i love you. you really think the only reason we're together is because of...."

he slowly points to my stomach and i use my arms to cover myself up.

"either way rose, my family is far too dysfunctional to give a fuck about what our relationship is an isn't."

that's the last thing he says before getting out of the car to come and open the door on my side. we walk into the store and start to pick out clothes, but my mind is side tracked. now that i think about it, he rarely talks about his family. him and grayson have an amazing bond, and i've heard a little about his sister but nothing much about his parents.

over time, i might've been told one or two childhood stories but not a lot that i can recall and definitely not any stories that took place in the last 10 years. i contemplate asking more so i'm prepared fully for when i meet them but i refrain. i'll find out soon enough, and i won't have to ask ethan and potentially make him upset.

i'm drawn away from my thoughts when ethan dangles a teal onesie in my face.

"we don't know the gender, so i think neutrals are a safe bet."

ethan studies the design on the onesie. it has little elephants stitched on the top right corner and darker sleeves.

"teal isn't a neutral colour."

"it's gender neutral."

i roll my eyes and he laughs. we pick up some socks, sneakers, gloves and baby bottles but we leave it at that since there's not a lot more we can buy until we know the sex of the baby and it's nearer the time.

as the man scans all of our stuff i feel ethan looking at me so i make eye contact with him and raise an eyebrow.

"do you wanna know the gender when it's time?"