TWENTY

it's bad. terrible, to be precise. she's been here for thirteen minutes, and i know that because i've been staring at the clock wishfully hoping time will go by quicker and counting down the minutes until she leaves.

firstly, she kissed ethan when she came in. not fully, but on the lips and for more than a second which was mortifying and confusing but i'm happy since it was clearly visible that he was not comfortable.

she then made me take all of her stuff up to a spare room, but to be fair she's not aware of the fact that i'm five months pregnant; which i think i'm doing a pretty good job hiding with the sweats i'm wearing.

after the suitcases — yes, multiple — were neatly placed in a row at the foot of the bed i was sent to go and get her a drink. as i did this i began to question why i was the one being sent to do all the errands for her and the answer was pretty obvious.

  once she was finally content after i'd bowed to her every need, we were all sat in the living room together and i started counting.

"so."

there it is.

  "what's new. are you two married yet?"

  there's a snarl in her tone which is poorly hidden, along with the disappointed look that settles on her face when she sees no ring on my finger. not only am i confused that she thought ethan and i would be married, but also that she genuinely seems upset we're not.

  "pregnant, rose?"

  i blush.

  "yes. she is."

  my mom looks appalled. even though she asked the question, i doubt she thought she'd get a yes. next comes the look of disgust and i just roll my eyes, excusing myself to go to the toilet although i don't even need to but i feel suffocated in there and don't know how much more i can take.

  as i leave the room i quickly glance back at ethan whos already looking at me with desperation. i do feel bad for leaving him behind but once i'm by myself i have no regrets.

rose:
you guys have to come over
my mom is here and ethan told her i'm pregnant

lily:
no way

dianne:
i will not come
that sounds so awkward

lily:
i agree

rose:
plspls
i need you both
she loves you

dianne:
tru

lily:
ok fine
but we're not staying

dianne:
i kinda want to

lily:
dianne?!!

dianne:
whattt
it'll be fun
it's drama

lily:
i do love drama

rose:
okay great
so you'll stay

lily:
yes but only for one night
i have to babysit my cousin tomorrow

dianne:
i have work

  regardless they both eventually agree to stay for one night and leave in the early afternoon and a huge weight feels lifted off of my shoulders. even though there's only two of them, having them around will make things a lot easier since it won't just be ethan, my mom and i.