TWELVE

"rose quick! we're gonna be late."

  i grab my sunglasses and phone and put on a pair of slippers since i'm being rushed so much that i don't have time to put on shoes. i lock the door behind me and start to walk to ethan.

  once we get in the car he looks me up and down with a smirk on his face.

  "are you comfortable enough?"

  i blush. i'm wearing a grey oversized shirt and black sweat shorts since i'm on my period and i wanted to be as comfortable as i could be.

  "i'm on my period ethan."

  "oh. did i do that?"

  my jaw drops open a little. his tone is sarcastic but i still hit him, not appreciating his little remark.

  "do you need anything from the store?"

  "no."

  "no what?"

  "no thank you."

  "that's better."

  i turn on the ac since it's boiling hot in here.

  we're going to pick up the kitten today. i've been brainstorming names but can't come up with one and neither can ethan which is surprising.

  the kitten's carrier and blanket is in the backseat with one or two mice toys that we got him and also a few treats.

  ethan also has all of the forms filled out now which took him ages. i did try my best to help, although i doubt my assistance made a difference.

  he stops driving and i notice we're already here.

  "i'm gonna take the carrier in, you can hold the forms for me."

  i nod and go into the back and get all of the papers from the trunk. honestly, there's not a lot here but there were a lot of questions on there about what kind of space we live in, if we have a garden for the kitten, asking what our neighbours are like. we even had to provide pictures of our house and give proof that it was ours. it was a hassle but i'm glad it's over now.

  ethan and i manage to walk hand in hand into the shelter regardless of the things we are carrying. we're greeted by the same lady as last time. he takes the forms from me and they start to talk. i zone out until i see her moving away and ethan following, so i do too.

  she takes us into a room that's pretty bland. it has pale blue coloured walls and cream flooring with a small table that's stacked with magazines and a wooden bench.

  then, she tells us that she'll be back and before leaving she closes the door so we are left alone.

  ethan and i chose a kitten that's all white but has light grey patches on his face and dark eyes. apparently he wasn't left here from an abusive home or anything; his last owners kid was allergic to him.

  "can we call him snowflake?"

  "no rose. that's basic."

  i frown.

  "olaf?"

  "absolutely not."