Chapter 1: Siblings

Ugh! Were they ever going to shut up!

    The once beautiful morning was now filled with constant outbursts of screaming and the imminent ‘Oh my God’. Life couldn’t get any worse from here on, surely.

     Lillian, and her futile so called best friend, were home and clearly oblivious to the fact that we actually had neighbours. Their wannabe screaming was really starting to piss me off too. I took a deep breath and relaxed - it wasn’t that big of a deal. I placed my pen back on the paper and continued to write the lyrics as they came to me:

                                           Every tear, every smile,

                             Come closer now, it’s been a while

                                                 I need your lo

     Ugh! That was it!

     I slammed the pen down onto the desk and stormed out of my room. Why couldn’t I just have one morning of peace and quiet! I swung open Lillian’s bedroom door. It flew back and smacked into the wall, making a loud sound. Whoops.

    “What the hell, Candice!”

    Lillian and Stacey were sitting on the floor, surrounded by One Direction posters, Lillian’s iPad in front of them. Stacey looked absolutely terrified while Lillian just glared menacingly, waiting for my response.

   “Can you please be quiet?” I closed my eyes, trying to contain my anger. “There cannot be a reasonable explanation as to why it’s necessary to scream so loud!”

     Lillian and Stacey looked at each other then, holding back smiles.

    “What?” I threatened.

    Lillian swallowed hard and tucked her long, white blonde hair behind her ear. “Actually, there’s a very reasonable explanation,” she paused. It was as if what she was about to say needed the suspense built up.

    I just stared at her, trying to prompt her to spit out her pathetic excuse, but Stacey beat her to it.

    “We’re going to see One Direction!”

    They both suddenly jumped to their feet, letting out their ear-piercing screams in excitement, yet again. You have got to be kidding me. If it wasn’t for my obsessed sister, I actually may have liked One Direction and their songs. But, I didn’t. Of course they were five of the most gorgeous guys I’d ever laid eyes on – I was a girl. And yes, I saw them a lot thanks to my sister’s overbearing collection of posters. So you could understand why I wouldn’t like something that was shoved in my face every minute of every day.

   The two dorks in front of me held each other’s arms as they jumped, their weight causing the upper level floor to vibrate. Mum’s voice then shouted from downstairs, as if right on cue.

   “Girls!”

   Lillian and Stacey stopped immediately, bursting into hysterical laughter. I rolled my eyes. Once again they had a plan to somehow meet the ‘Five Gods’ as they called them. I turned to leave them alone, not being able to stand being this close to anything in relation to One Direction.

    “Candice, wait!” Lillian called. I heard her catch up to me in the hallway.

   “What?” I spun around to find her right behind me with a guilty expression plastered on her fourteen year old baby face. Geez, mood swing much? She looked down at her tangled fingers and took a deep breath. Oh God, here came the sweet and innocent pleading charade.

    “Well...” She looked up then. “We got some tickets to see One Direction’s concert in a week. We’ve been on the waiting list for the past year and we finally got them.” Her baby blue eyes twinkled at me. Oh no, not the eyes.

    I put my hand on my hip as if impatient for her to continue. But I was actually quite enjoying the show she was putting on. She knew how to be a suck-up to her big sister, that was for sure.

    “But, we’re not allowed into the stadium without someone over the age of sixteen–”

   “Hell no!” I cut her off. There was no way I was being a ‘Directioner’. I remembered seeing the screaming girls on television; some had to be taken to hospital because they’d stopped breathing!

    “Oh come on Candice!” Lillian grabbed my arm and then fell to her knees. You had to be kidding me. “Please, please, please!”

    “You’re seriously begging?” I stared at her, eyes wide. How could this mean so much to them? Did she not understand how I felt about One Direction?

    “You won’t even have to listen to them. You can take earplugs!” Lillian’s eyes lit up as if she’d just discovered sugar. Why did she have to be so cute when she begged? Lillian and I had one of those love/hate relationships. We hated each other to death and sometimes couldn’t even stand the sight of the other at times. But I also loved her to pieces and would do anything for her – she was my baby sister. “Please,” she whispered again, her eyes becoming glassy.

    “Ugh, fine!” I gave in. She almost jumped on top of me, pulling me into a huge bear hug. Suddenly I felt another huge weight add to the pile; clearly Stacey had been listening in and had joined the hug.

     “Thank you, thank you, thank you,” Stacey repeated over and over.

     “I love you sis!” Lillian squeezed me tighter. I’d never seen them like this before.

     When they let go, I could see their eyes swimming with enthusiasm as they stared at each other, baby blue eyes meeting Stacey's golden hazel. They had been friends for a few years now, but only became close when One Direction was dealt the fame card.

    “Thank you so much Candice!” Lillian pulled me into another quick hug before skipping back down the hallway with Stacey. What the hell had I gotten myself into!