Part 34

~8th March~

Deep breaths, you remind yourself for the millionth time as you stand outside the door to the conference room. Just like you said to Shuri, you had finished the weapon, she had located Thanos and now it was time for the meeting part. Since you came up with this, it was up to you to explain it all.

You allowed your hand to wrap around the weapon, keeping it hidden since it really didn't look like much unless you know what it is. With a sigh, you opened the door and stepped inside, facing everyone at once. They all stared, probably wondering how a fist and a large rectangular plate would bring down the great Thanos.

"Miss L/N, what was it you wanted to show us?" Thor asked, seeming awfully happy to see you, even though you took his brother with you on what turned out to be a suicide mission.

"It's simple, actually." you started as you laid out the plate on the table before you, though others seemed doubtful at the simplicity. "We all know that other than his physical strength, all the real power of Thanos lies in the gauntlet he wears. Which is why I made a way to take of his gauntlet." you explained, pressing the on-button of the plate.

You had already adjusted the settings so that the plate would simulate Thanos's gauntlet-wearing arm. The plate worked - with the right settings- so it would make the thing of your choice into a 3D picture with which you could interact. If you put the simulation through cold, it would react as the real thing would have. Same if you put it under heat, sharpness, and blunt force.

You opened your hand so that the weapon became visible to the others and no one looked impressed. Some looked disappointed, but the people who had fought by your side before were all waiting either patiently or buzzing with excitement.

The weapon itself had two handles, one of them had a lever on it. Between the handles, a thick, but moveable metal string was attached.

You held the handles in your hands, tensing the string between. You then pulled the lever with your index finger and the entire string slowly started glowing red with heat.

Now everyone seemed interested. You carefully wrapped the string around the simulated arm and pulled. The 3D picture and the weapon worked like it should, meaning that the lower arm, the part wearing the gauntlet fell off. You quickly turned the lever again and the heat went away.

"Like I said, simple. And while I don't know a lot about Thanos - for all I know, he could have the ability to regenerate the arm - but I do know that the gauntlet will remain off." you explained and it was silent for a while as everyone processed what you just told them. T'Challa snapped out of it first and hurried over to embrace you.

"That's great. Now all we need to do is find Thanos's location, make a plan on how to approach, and then prosecute." he said enthusiastically and you smiled.

"Actually, Shuri located Thanos while I worked on the weapon. All we need is a plan." you said and the excitement could almost be felt in the air as it sunk in on everyone. You finally had a chance.

***

The plan had been made and everyone would be leaving in two hours. People had many different plans on how to spend the time. 

T'Challa and Coulson would be gathering more soldiers. Natasha was going to talk to Clint. Shuri, Bruce, and Erik were going to be training in different ways. Erik wanted to work on his strength, Shuri on her reflexes, and Bruce on getting Hulk to surface. You saw Steve and Bucky sneak off to Bucky's hut. A selected group of S.H.I.E.L.D agents, Dora Milaje and two of Rhodey's old friends would go to rescue Clint's family since no one would focus on them when war was coming. 

You yourself were going to spend time with the people who wouldn't be joining the fight. You wanted to talk to Ned and M.J because you have kind of been avoiding them since Peter died. You wanted to spend time with Happy, assuring him of your confidence in this plan. You wanted to call Pepper because from the ball to now, you have not answered a single call from her because you weren't ready to face the fact that you were putting her through the same stress your father did.

You were going to talk to Maria and Harley on the jet there. During the meeting, it had been decided that you would use your weapon on Thanos and that they would help make sure you made it there.

While you three did that, the others would fight and distract Thanos and his forces as best they could.

But oddly enough, what was going to happen wasn't what was on your mind. You could die and that wasn't something that worried you, not making things right before you pass does though.

But before you could reach any of the people you were planning on seeing, a completely different person approached you. May.

Despite what Happy told you about her feeling guilty about what she said, you couldn't help but tense up at the sight of her. Ready for her to hurl any of her grieved words at you. But she didn't say anything like that, instead, she pulled you in for a hug. The embrace told you everything she felt without her having to say it.

She was mourning Peter, of course, she was, but she didn't blame you. She hoped you would be able to find peace despite having lost yet another important person in your life. And she really hoped you could forgive her.

"It's okay." you whispered, answering her embrace briefly before pulling apart. Offering her small smile while your eyes filled with tears. "He was the little family you had left, of course you would react badly. It would be insane if you didn't." you continued and she smiled.

"Yeah... I guess you're right." she said before sighing. "So, off to save the world again?"

"I suppose you could say that. But first, I have some people I need to talk to." with that, you turned around and made your way to one of the extra rooms of the palace where two of your friends were staying.

It only took a minute or so to reach the door but once there, you froze. If May had thought you were responsible even for just a short while, who's to say they don't feel the same way?

You shook off those thoughts with a sigh and raised your hand, then knocked. It was silent for a while, then there was some shuffling from inside.

"It's open!" Ned's voice finally called and you opened the door. For a moment, the three of you just stared at each other in silence. Them chocked to see you, while you were preparing yourself for any reaction.

Well, not any reaction. Because when they both walked over to you and hugged you, that took you by surprise. But as soon as the chock faded, you answered the hug and whispered:

"Hi guys."

1220 words