Part 36

~8th March~

The outside was chaos. There were so many people that their bodies became a blur as they all fought. Everyone except you, Harley, and Maria ran straight into the mass to join your friends while you stopped to locate Thanos.

Not that it was hard to spot a giant grape-man covered in golden armor. You made a sign towards him so that the others would know where he is. They both spotted him and turned to you.

"How many knives do you have?" Harley asked and you smiled.

"Fourteen." Two big ones in an x under your jacket with nothing but their handle sticking out, eight strapped over your chest but under your jacket, four on each side. One in each boot and one on each thigh. "What do you guys have to fight with?" you asked and Harley pulled out his stick with a shit-eating grin. Maria pulled out two guns and showed a metal baton that was strapped to her belt. "Good, let's move."

The three of you ran into the mass and you grabbed the thigh-knives in the movement. The feeling of the knives in your hand sent a sense of security through you, which was ridiculous since there were probably a thousand aliens whose bodies could work a whole lot different than yours.

The train of thought disappeared as soon as the first alien approached you with a large blade raised.

You blocked it with one of your knives, sidestepping her and burying your other knife in her heart. She fell to the ground and you pulled your knife out again. When you glanced over your shoulder to see how the other two were doing, you saw Maria shoot an alien who had attacked Harley. They both turned back to you and you continued your run.

There's around half a mile between you and Thanos, making your view of him nothing more than a blurry speck.

You kept your gaze focused on that speck as you sliced at the aliens coming at you and it didn't take long for your clothes to be covered in bloodstains. Only a third of a mile left. The familiar breaths behind you assured you that your "escorts" were keeping up.

A quarter-mile left. A large alien tried to jump you from the side, but you dodged, turned, and stabbed him in a swift movement to stop that from succeeding. The knife buried itself too deep for you to pull it out without slowing down too much, so you just turned and grabbed one of the chest knives as you continued running.

A familiar grunt of pain caught your attention and you turned around, seeing Harley with an alien's hand around his throat. Maria was too busy keeping aliens off with her gun to help him, so you ran up to his side and sliced at a muscle in the alien's arm, causing the entire arm to go slack and their grip on Harley to falter.

"Escorts." you muttered with a roll of your eyes and he blushed, causing you to smile. "I'm joking, let's move it." you continued your run with them at your heels, only a fifth of a mile left.

Two hundred meters, you were closing in. By now, you could see more details of Thanos's armor. How this version covered more of him, leaving only the skin around his elbows unprotected. You could still use the weapon, but you would have to get closer than you had first intended.

Not a detail that makes too big of a difference, but it is always better to be prepared.

A hundred meters left, but before you could move any closer to your target, a large alien stepped in front of you, two machete-sized blades in his hands. You allowed yourself a short glance at the others, but they were preoccupied with a dozen aliens. You turned back to the giant with a frown, you were kind of on a schedule after all.

"Move." you said calmly and only got a grunt in response. "Maybe I wasn't clear. Step aside and let me continue my walk." you said and now he raised his blades. "Fine, have it your way." you continued.

Without missing a beat, you threw yourself on the ground, sliding on the mud under his legs. You stood up into a crouch once you were behind him and stabbed him in the knee. He fell onto his good knee and you hit the back of your knife into the back of his head. 

He stumbled forward but didn't fall. Instead, he spun quickly for his size and grabbed you by the wrist, clenching hard enough for you to have to drop the knife in that hand, possibly spraining the wrist. A grunt slipped through your lips as your mind buzzed.  To grab you, he had to drop one of his blades, but he still had another one so you got to think fast.

Turns out you didn't have to since seconds later, a bullet flew through his forehead, causing a spray of purple blood to meet your face. He fell to the ground and so did his grip on you.

Behind him, Maria was standing with a gun raised and a hand out for you to take. Behind her, Harley was struggling with another alien, no Harley special in sight. You threw the knife still in your hand into the alien's neck and it fell with a spray of blood, most of it missing Harley.

"I lost my weapon." he announced as he turned to the two of you. You sighed and made a come-here sign with your fingers. He listened and you pulled out the knives from the back of your jacket, these about the size of a baton. "Don't drop these, I don't have an infinite storage of knives." you warned and he nodded.

You turned around, picking out one more knife from your chest and pulling up the weapon you made for this. Fifty meters left.

You tapped the com four times, the signal for the others to grab Thanos's attention and allow you to do what needed to be done. Thirty meters left, you calculated as you heard the others groan in effort somewhere behind you but this time, you couldn't stop to help.

Instead, you waited for Steve and Bucky to run at Thanos from his front, Steve throwing his shield straight into Thanos's face while Bucky shot the titan.

You snuck up from behind Thanos, twisting so that you were almost back to back with him while sheeting the knife again to hold the weapon in both hands.

In a swift movement, you stepped under the purple man's arm and wrapped the weapons around the bare spot. Thanos noticed instantly and used his other hand to hit your left arm and you heard a bone crack. A scream escaped you, but that was the only thing you allowed the pain to do to you.

You switched the lever and pulled the line, the pain of your arm making you nauseous as you did. The titan screamed as his arm fell off his body, though no blood accompanied it due to the wound already being cauterized. The gauntlet-clad lower arm fell to the ground and without hesitating, you kicked it aside, away from the purple man's reach.

Let's hope this won't become a pattern since this is the second infinity stone-related thing you've football kicked. Luckily, this version was not direct contact and you, therefore, didn't lose skin cells of your foot.

You followed the arc the arm flew across the sky, seeing bright light erupt around it and a silhouette appeared with the arm in hand. Once the light faded, you saw a girl. Woman, with blonde hair, white skin, and a red-blue-yellow suit.

"Hello, you must be Miss Danvers." you greeted and the woman turned to you, looking confused. So did almost everyone around you. "Oh right, I'm not supposed to know that." you muttered, only now remembering that you gained this information by hacking into the deepest corners of S.H.I.E.L.D.

"Fury called for me." she said and you nodded.

"Makes sense. My tip is to get those stones into several hard-to-find locations where hopefully, no one will be dumb enough to search for them." you advised and she nodded, though you could see that she didn't really care about your opinion.

"Miss L/N is right, though she and I are going to have a chat later about personal boundaries." Fury called and both you and Carol turned. Her eyes lit up slightly at the sight of her old friend and he smiled slightly. "Go." he said with a nod. She looked at him a little longer, before flying away again. Fury turned to you with a neutral look on his face.

"I know, I know. But you can scold me later. For now, let's kick some alien ass."

1488 words