forbidden silence [THRILLER]

[TRIGGER WARNING: CONTAINS DARK FICTIONAL THEMES- unlike my other short stories this prompt is thriller/horror and may be disturbing to certain readers. Continue at your own discretion]

POV: The rain was pouring outside. The sky was bleak and cloudy, shorded with a depressing feeling. The downpour won't cease. If this were to continue any longer then the trail would no longer be safe to travel on.

You took out your phone. It barely had any battery power left.

You asked around, hoping that any one of your seven friends had some battery left.

But of course they didn't.

You found it quite laughable, this scene and situation right now really did seem like something pulled out from a horror movie. A group lost in the woods, no battery left and the rain pouring down.

Taking lead again you turned back and began walking back to where you came from. It took about 7 hours to get to this point, and with this weather it would take more to get back.

So immersed in calculating the time and the weather conditions, you didn't notice it until it was too late. To you, everything felt silent at that moment, you couldn't hear the pouring rain or the quiet melody of the wind you heard just before. All you could remember as you were suddenly pushed forward was the horror that befell the moment you turned back.

Three lives were lost in that landslide.

And it was because of your friend that it wasn't four.

The moment the dirt below you struck your legs, you felt the rocks underneath you jab into your knee. But though your nerves were screeching out in pain, it was all silent to you.

Where did things go wrong?

How did a supposedly safe trail become a death pit?

Without any way to continue back you and the 4 people who were left reluctantly braved the forest. Betting on your sense of direction you blindly entered the woods.

The shock from reality still hasn't sunk in as quickly as the rainwater had onto your clothes. Your brain felt quite numb, unable to process the fact that you could very well die during these moments. But luckily, it seemed as if some god of luck smiled upon your misery and guided you towards a distant mansion shrouded in glorious flowers.

It was built in a small clearing, with only a dirt road leading to it. There weren't any big cars or fancy tools in the open garage. It looked like a beautiful modern-style mansion, yet still retaining a frugal and classic essence. With the rain still slowly trickling down from the sky, the scenery looked mystical. The blooming buds showed a slight bit of colour, enchanting the otherwise boring mansion. Unlike what you would expect, the mansion seemed quite new, and as you stepped into the porch by the door, there were no creaks. In fact, aside from the sound of the others' footsteps and the rain, there was only the soft melody of a music box. It was a strange melody, with notes seemingly missing here and there. But overall, you found it pleasant to listen to despite the strangeness. But it wasn't the melody you were concerned about, it was the fact that there was music. If someone lived in this mansion, then you were saved!

You happily knocked on the door, waiting for someone to answer. Walking for hours and hours made you exhausted and you dearly needed to rest.

But the person who opened the door was a young lady, not older than 35. She looked at you calmly.

"Hello. Sorry for the intrusion but we are just some hikers who need some access to a phone and get some immediate help. Could we also ask for a bit of shelter and the instructions for how to get back to the city?"