SOTW- Part 1

It was three months ago when I was paired up with a girl around my age. As per the rules, I didn't know anything personal about her, including where she lived, who she was, what she looked like, I knew nothing at all. Though honestly, I didn't really care about any of this and wasn't interested in knowing. This online program hinted that it was mandatory to lie about some things. Anything that she said could be a lie, and I could lie about anything if I wanted to. So why bother putting much effort into this? If anything I could just submit my participation records after this session to my teacher and call it a day. Though this program became really popular during the end of the pandemic, there have been no actual records that it does what it's meant to do.

But pretty soon, I found that my partner was strange. Quite strange.

"Hey Zaiden"

"Good Morning."

"Did you finish the homework yet?" Jasper asked, sneaking a glance that meant he wanted to copy yesterday's notes.

I sighed, though I hated giving away my work I found myself unable to say no to one of my closest friends. I passed him my notebook as he leaned back on his chair in the lecture hall. Class was starting soon but this idiot was only reviewing everything right now. As I waited for him to finish I stared off into the distance, settling my gaze on a clock on the wall. My mind began to wander as I thought of the email I got from my partner yesterday.

[Hello. My name is Ivy.

I enjoy writing and I love reading different stories. It is entertaining to discuss different plotlines and imagine being able to live a more luxurious life then what I have right now.]

[Hi Ivy. My name is Z...

I paused, should I reveal my name? I thought over everything carefully, it would be a real hassle if I end up meeting any of these pen pals in real life. I tapped my fingers on the desk, annoyed. Figuring that I could think about this later, I finished the rest of the reply. I only had to get through this session and it didn't really matter to me how. I might as well have fun with it.

[Hi Ivy. My name is Zaiden and it's a pleasure to get to know you.

I'd love to listen to your stories. If you want some reference points for writing stories about living a rich life, I'd be happy to oblige. If you need help with anything, I'd be happy to chat with you for the rest of this session. ]

I leaned back on my chair and put my arms over my head. This session usually lasts about 9 months, almost an entire school year of listening to someone online ramble on about something that could be entirely fictional. As far as I knew she could be some rich girl who was bored. I had much better things to do after this, I thought. Setting my hands on the keyboard I read everything over again and opened another tab to randomly search for a name. If the rules state that something needs to be fictional, then why wouldn't I ignore an entertaining rule that benefits me. I glanced over at all my notes for completing the freelance coding and calculating requests. It would sure be nice if I could actually be rich. Living in a run-down apartment and getting my earnings by doing freelance work involving math and computers would only sustain for so long.

Not paying much attention to what I've picked, I sent the email and hurriedly began working on the math questions that I still had left to do and browsed my social media for any requests. After a while, a notification jolted me out of my concentration. When I looked up at the screen, I saw her reply.

[Hi Grayson... ]

Grayson? I quickly glanced at my previous email. 

Grayson was a name that drained the blood from my face every time that I saw it. Grayson Sefra, my twin brother. After our parents passed away 3 years ago, he vanished. After sending me a message in the mail every once in a while asking if I need any support, nothing much really connected us. I was grateful that he still remembered I existed, but my heart tore at me whenever I thought too closely about what he truly felt. It was my fault that we are orphans.

It was because I was jealous that I ran away from home.

It was because all because of a stupid university admission email that I found about hidden from me in fear that this exact situation would happen.

Like how many other people describe car crashes, there were lights.

A screech.

A bang.

And silence.

People gasped.

And the blood finally comes into view.

Though I felt his arms shake around me as he pulled me out of wreckage and confirmed that I was fine, I could see the undertone of hatred.

We were twins.

In terms of intelligence and ability, we were just barely comparable. But when it came to maturity, he completely eclipsed me. Even when I was still at home stuck on my computer, he was out in real life. He was talking with people, hanging out with friends and actually making money. Although he was still young, he acted like a much better adult than our dad ever was. He had the opportunity to enter a top school and become a doctor, someone essential during this era where health and money trumped all else. Though it was the doctors who didn't agree to save our parents, I never told him this because I knew that he would not be able to handle it well.

After all these years I still could not bring myself to tell him because...

What could I say?

I couldn't tell him that they couldn't save our parents because we had no money. And that all that money was actually prefunded for him to attend school and join the Doctor's Global Health Organization. I still haven't sorted through everything and he's already decided to let it all go.

I never contacted him because of how he's aligned himself with an organization with no care for the health and wellbeing of the people. If it did then how would I end up like this? How did this town end up in shambles with the rich living in the city and getting access to a healthcare system. But he was my brother, and ever since he was a kid he had always dreamed of entering the organization, just like many others who handed over the leashes of their talent to them. How could I just crush all that he's wanted. At least, this would be the best way of repenting for the disaster I caused in the spur of the moment.

I rubbed my burning eyes and scanned through the email again cursing at myself for picking such a stupid name.

[Hi Grayson. I assume you are in university because the program grouped age groups together but, are you studying to become a doctor? It's quite a hard career choice in times where diseases are mutating rapidly. Do you mind if I ask some questions regarding the course if you are?]

I paused, wondering how I should reply to that. I hated the idea of me getting that job, but it was the easiest to lie about.

[I just have a few random questions, it's nothing much. Though I am curious, are you wanting to be a doctor? It just seems like such a nice career.

Anyways, where is your favorite place to travel? I like going to different cities and admiring the tall skyscrapers.]

I paused. How would I know what the city is like? I live here in the most run down part of the country, where the buildings were mostly old and from way back in the 2000s. When I had lived there with my parents, I did remember seeing the tall buildings and skyscrapers, but who goes to the city to see those?

I paused, wondering why anyone would want to see skyscrapers. Thinking about it again, I have no idea who the person on the other side of the screen could be... and if they're actually a pampered rich girl... is all just a joke to humiliate me into confessing who I am and to sound me out? And what is with her obsession with the medical field? I leaned back again and read the email, feeling unsure. Reading over everything, I let out a light chuckle. If this girl wanted to joke around this much then so be it.

[I enjoy travelling around as well, though I prefer going on hikes]

I left a brief reply and shut down the computer. I didn't really pay much attention to it when I went to bed...