Tankery Friends

Several months later

A sudden raucous buzzing awoke Miho who had been resting quite peacefully to fully awake. Her movements were first to jump out of bed, then quickly and neatly set her bed. Follow up by trying to undress quickly and head for the shower.

"Wait, I'm not a Kuromorimine anymore. Calm down Miho."

Miho had gone through the body motions that she had inherited from her former academy. At Kuromorimine all girls live in dorms together, and even though it was technically a high school, they ran it like a military academy. With strict adherence to discipline, attendance, tankery, and academics. Mornings usually start with instructors barking like drill sergeants to rouse their students up with only fifteen minutes to get ready to start the day.

Calming herself down, Miho look at the clock that read it was half-past five in the morning. She thought about returning to bed but felt too wired now to sleep. She glance around her private apartment that was being paid for by her family for the duration of her studies at Chi-Ha-Tan Academy. It reiterated the point that she was no longer home, no longer confined to her family's traditions, she was finally on her own. It made her smile a bit.

A flash from her phone alerted her to an incoming text, picking it up she read the message that had come from Maho.

-Hey Miho, probably the only time I'll be able to send you a text today. Hope you enjoy your new life a Chi-Ha-Tan academy, remember if you need anything or just want to talk to me please don't hesitate to reach out. I love you, little sister-

Miho smiled, glad that even though she had left her family behind, Maho still love her. When she had told her mother she was leaving Kuromorimine, Shiho said nothing. The head of the Nishizumi family simply scowl and walk out of the room, but Maho had told her later that their mother would put her up at an apartment till she finish school, but would not support her in any way afterward.

It was still a bitter memory for Miho, knowing her mother might never talk to her ever again. No matter how distant they had become over the years, Miho still remembers a time in those long summer days as her, Maho, and their mother would take the Panzer 2 out on the open country road around the estate. They would smile, laugh, and play together. Miho remember her mother always love tickling them both till they beg for mercy, then in turn the sisters would get revenge, making their mother beg them to stop. Those days were filled with happiness and love, days Miho remember came to an end when her dad left that fateful day and nothing was left but her cold and emotionless mother who never smile at Miho or told her she love her anymore.

All there was left was the Nishizumi style and the expectation to uphold it at any cost, even the happiness of the mother and her daughters once shared.

"Come on Miho, no point wanting what's in the past."

Getting her mind on track, Miho began to get ready for her first day of school. After a bite to eat and then a shower, she put on her school uniform. It was a single-breasted light brown long sleeve tunic with a high collar, with a red skirt. Completing the uniform were black socks and shoes. She waited sometime before walking to school so as not to get there too early, even though her excitement for her new life compel her to want to take off, but a cooler head prevail.

When the time was right, Miho exited her apartment, doing a triple check to make sure it was locked, knowing how many times she forgot to do that back at the dorms of her old school. She also didn't have her one and only friend at Kuromorimine Koume Akaboshi to constantly remind her to lock her doors, which was why she was so cautious now. Thinking about Koume now made Miho sad, as she never said goodbye to her and she owe her that much after the many times she was at Miho's side during the troubling year at Kuromorimine. Koume was always positive and supportive of her, making her time on the team enjoyable only because of her constant presence.