twenty

"We need to talk."

Her hand pauses midair, hesitating for a moment before continuing its reach towards her brush.

It's nighttime and the room is so quiet.

Leave it to Sasuke to mess it up.

Sakura's green eyes connect with his dark ones through the mirror, taking in the sight of him on their bed.

"Do we?"

She turns to face him, watching his sharp jaw clench.

She missed his face more than she cares to admit.

It's been too long.

"Yeah."

He breaks their eye contact, choosing to focus on a spot on the wall.

Sakura lets out a breath before getting up from her vanity, wrapping her cardigan tighter around herself.

It's a very cold night.

She chooses to sit on her side of the bed, getting comfortable as the silence grows, waiting for him to continue.

"I think we should break up."

A quick blink.

A loud sigh.

A slight nod.

"Alright."

He turns to face her this time, watching the different emotions dance across her eyes, unable to recognize a single one.

"Can I ask why?"

She looks him in the eyes, blank expression.

"I don't know you anymore."

Sakura looks away.

"Well, that's not really my fault, is it?"

Sasuke keeps looking at her.

"I can't make you happy if I don't know you."

Sakura looks back.

"Do you love me?"

Sasuke blinks.

"I don't know."

Sakura blinks.

"Okay."

They don't move.

"Okay."

Sakura gets under the covers after a few moments pass, reaching her hand towards her nightstand to turn off the lamp on her side.

Sasuke sits for a moment longer before repeating Sakura's actions.

The next morning, he wakes up with his arms around her waist and his nose buried in her hair.

He tightens his hold and inhales her scent.

Just a moment longer.

Sasuke finally untangles himself from Sakura and gets out of bed.

He packs his bag with items he'll need for his mission and looks back one more time

When Sakura wakes up, she feels cold.

She sits up and looks around the room.

A note on her vanity.

Thank you.

***

A/N: just something from my drafts. I wrote this over a year ago after my own real life breakup. I was with my ex for 3 years. I still think and dream about him sometimes. It's not fun, and it's just confusing.