An Old Friend

It had been a few days since Astrid's last visit. 2 weeks ago Astrid found out that he was a dragon. She visited a few days after that occurrence to learn the basics of being a dragon such as flying. She caught on pretty quickly. But now, Astrid had been appearing less and less much to Hiccup's disappointment.

Why was Astrid pulling away from him?

Maybe it was because he was a failure. He couldn't even become human anymore. Why would Astrid even want to talk to him anymore?

Sadness hung over Hiccup as he looked at his reflection in the pond water. No matter who he was he was always a failure. First, he lost Toothless and now Astrid. He was always going to be alone.

"Ha! Who knew there was a hidden cove here!" A very familiar voice exclaimed. Hiccup's ears perked up in surprise. Gobber?

Hiccup silently moved behind a rock as he heard Gobber make his way towards the bottom of the cove. Hiccup peaked up from the rock and saw Gobber in his bear form- still lacking a front paw and a back paw, the missing limbs were replaced with bear-shaped prosthetics. Spirit magic was so cool, even prosthetics converted over in your spirit form. Gobber was wandering around the cove. His heart ached, he missed Gobber dearly. It killed him that he couldn't hug or talk to Gobber. If Gobber found out about Hiccup who knew what would happen.

"Ye know the best part about living on Berk is all the secrets it stores," Gobber said to himself. Gobber sat down near the rock Hiccup was hiding behind and sighed audibly.

"Hiccup would've loved this place," Gobber mumbled. Hiccup's eyes widened. "Oh Hiccup where are ye? You have no idea how much your father misses you. I miss you too."

Hiccup's gaze fell to the ground. Guilt and surprise welled up in him. He had no idea that they would miss him. Especially his father. He was responsible for their worrying.

The hours passed quickly. Hiccup remained hidden behind the rock and Gobber didn't move and just talked to himself. Even if Gobber was unaware of Hiccup's presence, it still felt nice to be near Gobber again. Suddenly the queen's call sounded through the air.

Hiccup pawed at his ears and screwed his eyes shut. Pain. Pain. Pain. He couldn't listen to her. He couldn't. Pain. Pain. Pain. The call stabbed at his mind and he could feel his resolve slowly breaking. He couldn't resist. His awareness of the world faded and he no longer felt in control.

Hiccup's wings spread open prepared to take flight. Suddenly a large mass slammed into Hiccup causing him to lose his balance and fall onto the ground. The queen's call stopped and awareness came rushing back to Hiccup.

Hiccup shook his head and blinked his eyes a few times before making eye contact with a very familiar bear. Gobber had saved him from the queen. He didn't know if it was intentional or not but relief coursed through Hiccup. He was safe from the queen's grasp for a little while longer.

What he wasn't safe from was this new bad situation. The Gobber situation. Gobber was currently glaring at Hiccup.

"Just how long have you been behind that rock?" Gobber questioned menacingly. Hiccup blinked in surprise at the question. Why wasn't Gobber attacking him?

"Yo- You're not attacking me? I'm a dragon!" Hiccup stuttered. Gobber raised an eyebrow.

"Who do you think would win in a battle? A fire-breathing giant lizard or a bear?" Gobber responded dryly.

"Then why would you save me?" Hiccup responded. Gobber rolled his eyes.

"Well, I don't think you were all that pleased being mind-controlled which is why I stopped you from flying away!" Gobber responded as if it was obvious. Hiccup was stunned. How did Gobber know so much about the queen? Why was he okay being near dragons?

"Listen-" Gobber began. "I'm no fan of ye overgrown lizards but I know that attacking people isn't your willing choice."

Hiccup decided to toy with Gobber a little bit.

"You say that like you're human yourself," Hiccup stated. Gobber shrugged.

"You must be new to these parts. Here on Berk Vikings have a spirit form. It can be anything ranging from dogs to horses to sheep. Every creature, even the local dragons know I'm a Viking," Gobber said factually causing Hiccup's jaw to drop.

"But Vikings attack dragons! If they know you're a Viking then why in Thor's name haven't they attacked you or you attack them?" Hiccup exclaimed. Gobber shrugged nonchalantly.

"In the forest, we have an unspoken agreement. No one wants to fight, the forest is an escape and is peaceful. I won't attack as long as they don't attack and vise versa," Gobber responded. Hiccup blinked in response. He guessed that makes sense. Hiccup suddenly wanted to be anywhere but here.

"Well, that's good to know. I should probably leave," Hiccup said, standing up from his sitting position. Before Hiccup could fly off Hiccup spoke.

"There's this boy. His name is Hiccup. He's been missing for weeks now and no one knows where he is. He's got brown hair and green eyes. If you find him please tell me. He'd never hurt a dragon," Gobber pleaded. Hiccup stared at Gobber for a moment before nodding quietly and flying away.