Not Alone Anymore

Hiccup couldn't sleep. He had spent most of the night planning and designing Toothless new tail and had finally come up with a possible working prosthetic. But now, Hiccup was worrying about Toothless.

How long had he spent in that cove? When Hiccup offered Toothless that fish Toothless had said himself that he was hungry. Did he not have enough food? One fish couldn't have been enough for the poor dragon.

Hiccup looked out his window towards the storage house where they kept all their baskets of fish. They wouldn't notice if one was missing, right?

Without wanting to wake his father, Hiccup decided to jump out his window which wasn't a far fall. He had done it every time he was reluctant to be in his dragon form anyways. Getting into the storage house was even easier as no one was around.

He grabbed one of the baskets and then began his trek through the forest. Halfway there Hiccup began to feel the dreaded calling of his spirit form, demanding to be let loose. Hiccup groaned to himself. He knew if he repressed his dragon form then it would let loose anyways and he'd be stuck as a dragon for days.

Well, Toothless did say he was hoping for that mysterious Night Fury to show up again. Hiccup felt a pang of guilt remembering that the whole reason Toothless was stuck in the cove was because of him.

Hiccup closed his eyes and thought about being the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself. He felt uncomfortable as the magic swirled around his skin. When it finally stopped Hiccup looked upon the world with dragon eyes.

It felt so weird to stand on all fours but it also felt the most natural way to stand in this form. Hiccup grumbled to himself and grabbed the basket with his teeth and then began dragging it the rest of the way towards the cove.

He was walking for about a minute before his mouth began tingling and then all of a sudden his teeth retracted into his gums. Hiccup reeled his head back at the odd feeling of having no teeth. He thanked thor that he knew Night Furies could do this or else he'd be a lot more concerned.

But now the question of how was he supposed to un-retract his teeth?

He struggled for five minutes before figuring out how to get his teeth back. Why could Night Furies even do that?

When Hiccup finally got to the cliff of the cove he realized something. How in Thor's name was he supposed to get down?

The fish wouldn't be a problem. But Hiccup was a dragon and he hadn't been in his dragon form long enough that he could safely return as a human without running the risk of being stuck as a dragon.

Hiccup eyed the pond. He tossed the basket of fish onto the floor of the cove and watched as the fish spilled all over the ground. Hiccup nodded to himself and went over the where the cliff was closest to the pond below. Then he jumped.

Hiccup felt an unfamiliar instinct take hold and all of a sudden Hiccup felt his wings snap open and he felt himself glide towards the ground. He landed clumsily but was surprised by the fact that he was unharmed.

"Night Fury?" Toothless asked, walking up to Hiccup. Hiccup tensed but retracted his teeth and gave Toothless a gummy smile.

"I brought you fish as a thank you for helping me with my, uh, wing," Hiccup said awkwardly, nodding his head towards the fish.

"Oh thank you," Toothless said gratefully, albeit confused. "How is your wing?" Toothless asked.

"Good," Hiccup responded awkwardly, ruffling his wings a bit. Toothless seemed to study Hiccup's face for a full straight minute before his eyes widened in realization.

"Hiccup you're the Night Fury?" Toothless exclaimed. Hiccup's eyes widened.

"Would you believe me if I said no?" Hiccup asked. Toothless gave Hiccup a dry stare and then whacked Hiccup with his tail.

"Ow! Toothless what did you do that for?!" Hiccup yelled, shaking his head.

"What did you do to hurt yourself so bad when I first found you?!" Toothless yelled back.

"Um, I may have tripped on a root and then fell into the cove on my wing," Hiccup mumbled. Toothless huffed in annoyance.

"Don't ever hurt yourself like that again!" Toothless exclaimed.

"Wasn't planning too," Hiccup responded.

"Well, now that we have that sorted, care to explain to me why you are here in the middle of the night? Don't humans cherish sleep as much as dragons do?" Toothless asked. Hiccup sighed.

"Well I was working on the plans for your prosthetic and then I began thinking about you being stuck in this cove for so long and how long since it might have been since you've eaten so I decided that I would bring a basket of fish," Hiccup rambled. Toothless blinked in surprise at the generosity of Hiccup.

"Hiccup, thank you for the fish, I appreciate it, how about we split it, and then maybe you could sleep?" Toothless offered. Hiccup seemed reluctant but eventually gave in and nodded.

They walked over to the basket and Toothless grabbed the basket and dumped the rest of the fish out. That was when he noticed a smoked eel laying on the top of the pile. Toothless began to growl at the dead eel. Hiccup's ears perked up in curiosity.

"What's wrong?" Hiccup asked.

"Eel," Toothless spat. Hiccup walked over to the eel and bent down to sniff it. "Hiccup I wouldn't-"

But it was too late. Hiccup sniffed the eel and immediately reared his head back.

"Ugh, Toothless why does the smell of eel burn?" Hiccup said, rapidly blinking and shaking his head.

"Eels are poisonous to most dragons. Do not eat an eel ever," Toothless said. Toothless scooped the eel up with his tail and flicked into the water. It was then Toothless realized that Hiccup had no clue how to be a dragon, he decided that he would help Hiccup understand the wonders of being a dragon.

They finished their shares of fish in silence before Toothless had Hiccup follow him to a small area of dirt.

"It's time for sleeping," Toothless said sternly. Hiccup nodded, too tired to argue. Toothless began to plasma blast at the ground so it was all warm. He then moved and pushed Hiccup to the burned area of dirt.

"Sleep," Toothless ordered. Hiccup laid down and wrapped his tail around himself.

"Thank you Toothless," Hiccup mumbled, already half asleep. Toothless tilted his head.

"For what?" Toothless asked.

"Thank you for making me not feel alone anymore," Hiccup responded. Toothless felt a surge of happiness. Hiccup was his friend and he was proud of that.