Chapter 39

Even when I park the car outside the house, his breathing hasn't eased and his eyes are moving speedily and unceasingly around. None of us gets out of the vehicle as we prefer to stay in the quietness and darkness of the car. He doesn't utter a word.

"I know it was hard on you,"

"It wasn't," I frown staring at him as he gazes outside. "I knew it would turn out like that,"

"Why are you this silent then?"

"He told me what she earned in return," He explains clenching his teeth.

"What is it?"

"I don't want to talk about it," I shut my eyes in defeat and I hate that the previous words of his mother punch their way into my mind. Maybe he's like his father; alone, trying to save the day, without me.

"Corbyn," I complain. "We discussed it. Talking, remember?" He locks his eyelashes for a moment breathing rapidly.

"The house will go to her," He, finally, admits. "Along with one of the companies,"

"I'm sorry,"

"Yea," He gets out shutting the door behind him.

"Hey," Blare greets me when I step up the stairs heading towards the second floor.

"You're staying here tonight?"

"Yes, without sneaking in, for once," She grins and I can't help but giggle. "Everything alright with Corbyn?"

"Yes, why?"

"He practically run into the room,"

"No, we...we're fine,"

"Blare," Jacob's voice shouts.

"Coming," She exclaims. "I will talk to you later, have you seen Anna?"

"No, why?"

"She'll stay tonight here too,"

"Then, I will," She blows me a kiss before disappearing into Jacob's room. And I find my way in mine.

"Where does that leave us?" Corbyn asks speaking to someone, probably his lawyer, on the phone. "Fine, I'll see what I can do," He snaps and tosses his cell phone in the mattress cursing under his breath. "Fuck,"

I sit at the bottom of the bed and take off my shoes while he paces back and forth in front of me.

"Don't say that I don't talk to you. I told you what he said and called my lawyer to readjust the case. I'm angry right now and I don't want to take it out on you, alright?" I look up to find his flaming eyes burn frantically as his pupils dilate swallowing my favorite clear blue.

"I didn't say anything,"

"Just don't think..."

"I didn't," I stop him. He nods running his fingers through his blonde messy strands.

"You have studying to do?"

"I was actually thinking about laying down,"

"Okay,"

I grasp the sheet in my fist begging sleep to rescue me. I thought tomorrow was going to be a wise idea to bring up the college applications but I don't think I will have the strength to look him in the eyes and ask. He has so many things to think and putting one more, isn't going to help. But, on the other hand, I asked him to talk to me when I'm weak and coward to fulfill my own wishes towards him.

Her words haunt me once again. Carrying the weight all on his own, staying alone to figure it out, not wanting anybody; he is all that. And I don't think I will bear what she did. If Corbyn cheats on me, I will lose the world under my feet. Our break-ups nearly crash me.