Chapter Three: The First Day of School

Skylar's POV

"Skylar! You have to get up! You can't be late for your first day of school!" My mom shouted as she passed my bedroom door.

"I don't want to go," I groaned. I'm not in the mood to sit around for hours doing nothing but talking about names and classroom procedures.

"Too bad! Get dressed!" She yelled as she passed my door once again, this time down the stairs.

I slowly peeled the blankets from my body and padded over to my walk in closet. Pulling out a pair of jeans and a black top, I put the clothes on. Once I was finished with that I brushed my hair and straightened it until I only had 20 minutes to get to school.

Stumbling down the stairs while throwing my bookbag onto my back, I passed my mom calling out a 'goodbye' as I did so.

It took me approximately 8 minutes to get to school. I walked, like I always did. My house wasn't far so it wasn't bad, but in the winter, it sucks.

"Sky! Hurry up!" Desiree screamed at me from the front doors of the school.

"I'm coming, I'm coming. Calm yourself." I panted out as I pushed my way into the building.

"I'm surprised you didn't skip the first day, like you usually do." She smirked at me, but I just shrugged. Too lazy to explain that it was my last year and I was determined to do better..

"Let me see your schedule," without waiting for a reply, I ripped the paper from her hands and began to compare the classes.

Jackson, Desiree Grade: 12 
1. History - Miller 
2. English - Horan 
3. Free Period 
LUNCH 
4. Math - Davis 
5. Spanish - Ramirez 
6. Chemistry - Cook

Harris, Skylar Grade: 12 
1. Math - Davis 
2. Chemistry - Cook 
3. Free Period 
LUNCH 
4. History - Miller 
5. Spanish - Ramirez 
6. English - Horan

"We've got free period and spanish together," I observed out loud as we walked towards our lockers.

"Alright, well I'll see you later then. Don't get in too much trouble." She smirked before stopping at her locker, while I continued a few feet before dialing in my combination; 36 - 14 - 28. The locker creaked open, just as the five-minute warning bell sounded.

I swiftly pulled out my Calculus book, slammed the door shut and walked down the hallway. I wasn't in any rush, nothing like the people sprinting around me. Why run to a place I don't want to be in?

- - -

The bell rang loudly, signalling it was the end of second period, meaning I now have free period. I quickly got out of my seat and walked to my locker, to find an excited looking Desiree already waiting for me. 

"What is it now?" I asked in a bored tone.

"Oh my God, the English teacher is so young and fit. You're going to die." She whisper-squealed. 

"I doubt it. Teacher's can't be hot."

"But-"

"Save it. I'm hungry and we have two periods to eat lunch, so let's go out." I tugged her away from my locker, and down the vacant hallway. 

We made our way out into the parking lot and towards her small car. I was just about to hop in when she gasped and started poking me repeatedly. "That's him! The English teacher! He must have his free period the same time we do! Look!" She was furiously grabbing at me, trying to pull me out of the car.