Chapter 10: Why Does This Always Happen To Me!?

We were currently walking through the corridors of the cellar again. We came across and door that needed a lever pushed up to open it. Ethan quickly walked to it with me close behind him. I have my hand on his shoulder and he starts to push it up, but in a flash his hand and lower arm are no longer connected.
"WHAT THE FUCK!"
I turned and saw Dimitrscu standing there. Her fingers were long thin like extremely sharp knives.
"Like I'd let you get away." She grabs us again.
"You'll be sliced to ribbons—" then she throws us again.
"—before you ever see that child!"
We both split up and run through the corridors. I hear her behind me while I'm running.
'I hope Ethan opened that damn door'
I make a few turns trying to lose her.
"You will learn what it means to insult house Dimitrescu."
"Sure I fuckin will" I whisper.
Finally I make it back to the door and see Ethan pushing the lever up and the door opening.
As soon as it fully opens Dimitrscu starts speaking from behind us.
"Time to die! Ah, such nimble little mice."
We start to run again when we come across and statue that has one of the four mask we need. I pull it off and the statue starts to move up.
"Running will get you nowhere!" She laughs madly.
"Gets us away from you! You crazy bitch"
"HOW DARE-"
"Fuck her goddamn" I turn to Ethan and see him attacking his hand back with the first aid liquid.
"Why does this always happen to me" he sighs.
"Maybe they have a thing against your hands...they don't know how well you use them"
"Gross (Y/n) right now?...I appreciate the compliment though" he winks.
"Hey! I didn't necessarily mean it like that! Get your mind out the gutter" I shake my head and turn away from him when a massive smirk finds its way to my face.
The platform stops moving and we make our way to the statues. I stick the mask onto the proper one and then go straight to Duke.
"It's a pleasure to see you safe. How were things?"
"No sign of Rose." I state sadly while looking at him.
"I'm... so sorry it turned out that way. Well, you'll find your way to her once you're out of this castle. Do you have need of anything for the road ahead? Thanks to your consistent patronage, I've expanded my services. If it's just looking, window shop away."
I nodded and asked if he could upgrade my weapons while I looked at the other things he had in stock. Ethan does the same.
"As always, a trustworthy, fair exchange. One moment, please. This is all an investment, Winters. Please come again."
"Thank you Duke" I shout as we walk out again.
"Trying to work up my appetite, are you?"
"Ugh not this bitch again" I roll my eyes.
"Hey! That wasn't very nice..." she was going to say more but Ethan grabbed my hand and ran the opposite direction.
"Hey I could have taken her"
"Yeah I know but I need you in one piece ok?"
"Fine, fine"
Ethan wasn't paying attention so he ran straight into Dimitrscu's leg.
"You disgusting outsiders!"
And of course the daughter showed up as well.
"Hmm. I guess I should hold back a little." I turn and glare at her but she just smirks at me and waves a bit.
'What's she trying to do?'
I raised my eye at her but was pulled by Ethan to run again.
———————————————————
We were inside of Dimitrscu's bathroom when I saw a lipstick.
"How many of these does she have?" I questioned thinking back to how many times I've seen her putting on lipstick.
We walked out and Ethan opened a door with the key he picked up earlier from her room.
I found a note and skimmed through it.
"Please be aware the Mistress's lipstick is missing.
If anyone finds it could they please return it to her bathroom.
It is custom made and therefore very expensive.
- Grand Chambermaid"
"She has so many though!" I sigh again and place the note down.
"(Y/n) come here!"
"What is it?"
"Listen,
One day since treatment.
The three girls have stopped moving.
They seem almost dead.
An insect flew out of the eldest's mouth.
It appears to be a common fly.
Two days since treatment.
All three bodies are covered in flies.
It appears the flies are consuming their flesh.
When I opened a window some of the flies dropped dead to the floor. It would seem the cold petrifies them. I quickly closed the window to avoid weakening the insects further.
Four days since treatment.
All three bodies have almost been completely consumed by the insects. All that is left is a dark, writhing human-shaped mass of creatures.
It is just after noon and the insects have started to change color. Those around the face turned pale and those around the lips turned a deep crimson.
Six days since treatment.
The mass of insects have transformed into human bodies again.
All three girls awoke, looking at me like newborns.
I sense a bond between us. Like mother and daughters.
I have already decided their names:
Bela, Daniela, and Cassandra."
"Wait...so she just let a bunch of flies eat these three women...so that makes sense why they turn into flies I guess but not really why they like blood so much..."
"Vampire flies"
"Ethan...I wanted to say that" I pouted.
He just laughed and moved to the next room.
We continued to explore this part of the house and fight the zombie vampires along the way. Eventually we made it into a new room which was the piano room.
I walked around while Ethan was near the piano. I found and note and quickly read it.
"Scientific name: None
Size: 5 - 6cm
Similar body structure to blow flies, although there are differences in the head.
They are carnivorous and vigorously consume meat.
In order to catch unsuspecting prey, they'll gather using pheromones to mimic a human.
They are produced when a Cadou lays eggs in its host, but the flies themselves are unable to reproduce.
They are weak to sudden drops in temperature.
Especially if the temperature drops below 10°C (50°F), their metabolism lowers and they go into a dormant, cryptobiotic state.
Similar to the cryptobiosis of Tardigrade or Polypedilum vanderplanki?
So not vampire flies Ethan" I shouted over to him.
"What? What are they then?"
"This type of fly that eats excess amounts of meat and all that"
"Oh ew I didn't even know there was such a thing"
"I feel like they only exist here but who knows"
I walk over to Ethan and look at the piano.
I looked at the notes and began to play them. Once the tune was played a key came out of a drawer that was in the piano.
"Thank goodness I know how to play piano Huh?"
———————————————————
We opened a door in the basement and fought off some vampire zombies along the way to a new area. We walked into a room that had a coffin inside. We opened it and found an azure eye.
"Maybe part of a ring? Or another door?"
"I don't know but we'll definitely hold onto it"
I nod and start walking out when the second daughter shows up.
"Play with me some more." She steps in front of me eyeing me with a look in her eyes. It didn't look like the one her first sister held towards me but more of a romantic look?
'What the hell'
Ethan grabs me again and runs out. The room we run into next had the second mask that we needed.
"Oh perfect" I grab it and notice a hole in the fireplace.
I motion towards it to Ethan and he nods going first. Once we get out the other side the daughter is there waiting for us.
"I was worried my sisters had gotten to you first." She smirks at me and goes to grab me but Ethan pulls me out of the way.
Because of how focused she was on me I used myself as bait as I whispered to Ethan for him to find a way to let the outside winds into the room.
While Ethan goes to do that I run around holding the mask in my hand.
"Come here my pretty"
"Thank you for the compliment but I don't wanna go over there thanks"
I continued to dodge her as she kept making attempts at grabbing me.
"Come onnn just be my little play thing please"
"No!" I yell again as I dodge her.
"Ethan hurry up" I shout starting to get out of breath.
He yells at me to come towards him and I do. I stop running when I'm by him. We see the daughter come in and when she gets closer Ethan presses something that makes an explosive go off.
The daughter was knocked over and started to yell.
"You've ruined the hunt!"
Ethan ignored her. He pulled out his shot gun, aimed, and shot her.
"You bastard! My body! What? No! You're done! You will not get away! You're my prey... mine..." she instantly turned to stone just like the first daughter.
"Crazy witch." Ethan whispered, "are you ok?" He turned to me and placed his hands on my face.
"Yeah...yeah I'm all good" I just caught my breath and started to look around grabbing anything that would be useful and left the room.
———————————————————
"You disgusting outsiders!" Dimitrscu yelled at us.
"When the hell did she get here!"
We had run...again! Ugh so much running.
Ethan opened a door with the key we just got which made it so Dimitrscu couldn't follow.
I sighed as I stopped running and bent over a little to catch my breath.
"So you finally came to see me! Everyone falls for me in time."
"Oh for fuck sake" I stand up again. Ethan turns a crank that opens the roof. We start to shoot her.
She starts to spew out comments to us as we shoot her.
"Ugh! Ow, so mean!"
"You really want to kill me!?"
"Why are you doing this!?"
"Ugh, damn!"
"A dream. This is a dream. I don't wanna... die..." and with that she turned into stone just like the other two.
"Well that's all the daughters down...that just leaves Dimitrscu....and I'm kind of scared to see how she fights"
Ethan rubbed my shoulders and pulled me into a hug.
"I'm sure she's not too bad"
"I hope not"
We start to explore again and eventually find the third mask.
We then go to the attic where we find a note.
"I heard there was something called "the Dagger of Death's Flowers" somewhere in this castle.
It's apparently an antique from the Middle Ages that's coated in a concoction of poisons from across the continent. It's said to have been crafted to kill demons and monsters.
It sounds fascinating but... no one knows where it is."
Hm...
We look around a bit more and Ethan finds a sniper rifle. He hooks it to his back and we walk out to the roof.
....I hate the roof.
There were flying zombie vampires everywhere! We killed a majority of them until we found a zip line.
Ethan went first and I followed after.
We finally found the fourth mask and started to head back to the room that needed them.
"Ok, we should be able to get out with these."
I nod and walk to the elevator.
We start to head down but when the doors open Dimitrscu is waiting for us.
"Stupid manthings! You won't live long, even if you run!"
This time I grab Ethan's hand and run from her. I navigate our way to Duke's little area. When we get there I collapse to the floor taking in deep breaths.
"My my...are you alright (Y/n)?"
"Yeah...I'm...ok..."
Ethan starts to buy some supplies while I catch my breath. When he's done I stand up and walk out.
we attach the masks to the correct statues. The door opened and we walked out. The door lead to a small tower that we ran over to.
When we got inside there was a coffin at the end of the room. We opened it and Ethan grabbed a dagger that was inside.
However before we had the chance to turn around Dimitrscu grabbed us by the arm.
"You've ruined everything!"
She stabs a finger into Ethan and in return Ethan stabs the dagger into her. She throws us out of the window and screams in pain. When we land we look up to see she's grown wings.
"OH SHIT" I yelled.
'This is how I fucking die' I thought as she turns into a giant creature getting ready to attack.
'Why does this always happen to us?'