Chapter 1

"Tessa! Tessa Hale! Get down here this instant!" An angry voice yelled from down stairs.

Letting out a deep sigh, I dropped my pen on my desk and walked out of my room, reminding myself to finish my Chemistry homework when the she-devil was done with me.

"Yes, Jill, you summoned me?" I respond exasperatedly, trudging into the kitchen.

I lock gazes with a very annoyed and irritated looking Jill Hale. Her hands were on her hips and her foot tapped an annoying beat as she scowled down at me. "What did I tell you? You have no right to call me by my first name! You will show respect and call me Mother." She orders angrily.

I grit my teeth and ball my fists at my sides. "You will NEVER be my mother. EVER."

She purses her lips and looks me up and down. "I don't like your outfit. Go change, we are having company over for dinner."

I close my eyes and take a deep breathe before looking at the witch again. "I don't care to meet anymore of your 'suitors'. If the world ends during this special dinner of yours, don't even bother me then." With that I spin on my heel and march out of the kitchen.

"It is my boss and his family, so you better be down and presentable at seven thirty!" She calls after me.

I mutter under my breath and march back up the stairs and into my room, slamming my door behind me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was startled from my reading by a bell sounding throughout the house.

A doorbell.

I sighed and closed my book, making sure to mark where I had last read to. I walked towards my door, only stopping to do a once over of myself in my body mirror.

I was wearing a real dress with a slim black belt that had a golden buckle around the waist. It was knee-length, very wavy and gave me plenty of room to move. The neckline was very modest and the dress was sleeveless. Slipping on some black ballet flats, I made my way down stairs to greet our guests.

I know, I wasn't going to join them, but listening to my dreaded stepmother and respecting authority is what my father would have wanted.

Even if that stepmother is the devils mistress.

I bounded down the stairway two steps at a time, nearly stumbling on the last jump. After flailing my arms like a penguin trying to fly, I caught my balance and straightened my dress.

I walked over to where I could see the doorway, only to choke on air.

There. In the doorway. Was Jill's boss. With his family. His wife. And then his son.

William freaking Thatcher.

Everyone's heads turned to me as I pounded on my own chest, taking deep breaths to calm my rapidly beating heart.

Why? Why!? What did I do to deserve this torture!?!?!?

Will smirked as my stepmother scowled at me. "Tessa, what on earth are you doing?" She asks exasperatedly.

Does she not see that I just nearly died of heart palpitations!?

"Oh no, don't mind me. I'm just slowly--" I grunt for dramatic effect, "dying by choking on air. Who knew that the one thing that keeps us alive could kill us so easily?" I question rhetorically.

Will chuckles as Jill looks like she is ready to strangle me. She takes a deep breath before turning back to the older man and woman, who seem to have been watching me with amusement.