The Pack

Im just staring this story. All five boys will be in it, a lot, but this story is based around Zayn and India. I'll probably switch perspectives a lot between the two. This is about wolves in alaska and dont worry the boys will be in the fic sooooon.

~~~~~~~

I took two more steps; I listened to the snow crunch below me. I took a deep breath, bracing myself for another grueling step forward across the frozen lake. I took as wide of a step as my short legs could go. Another step, I hear the snow crunch below me. I shift my weight, looking behind me. I’ve made it almost 40 feet… and I had 30 more to go.

I sighed, looking forward again. I took another step; I temporarily heard the ice cracking below my feet. My heartbeat quickened as I increased my pace. I took more steps, still trying to keep my footsteps as soft as a cat.

Crack, crack.

Fifteen feet to go,

I was at a full sprint now, running towards the edge of the river. My foot landed too heavily on the ice, my right foot slipped into the below freezing lake. I landed on my knees, pulling my foot out. I tried to get up as fast as possible. I continued running and soon I felt the ground grow harder below my feet, I had made it. I sighed, collapsing onto the edge of the river.

I stared at the sky, saying goodbye to the sun as it sunk below the horizon.

I lay on the lake bed, catching my breath, my foot was numb. Every part of me was frozen… but my foot was unbearable. I was from Colorado, so I was used to snow and bad winters… But Alaska was another step on the rung of the cold ladder.

You’re probably wondering who I am, and why I am laying on the bank of a lake in Alaska at night. My name is India Roberts, and I was on a business trip with my dad. He’s a landscape photographer; he was recently hired by some magazine to go to Alaska and take photos. Me, wanting to follow in his footsteps, tagged along. I had to beg my mother to let me join him, stupid me. She claimed seventeen was much too young. I told her I could handle it.

I change my mind now.

To be honest, I’m not sure where my dad is right now, or if he’s even okay. Somehow we got separated, and I’m lost in hell.

My mind was taken back to reality, when I heard the close howling of wolves. My breath quickened again. I tried to stand up, favoring my weight on my left foot, since my right was numb. It felt like a noodle was hanging off my calf. I tried walking, I more limped than anything. You could hear the water sloshing in my boot.

I didn’t make it ten feet before I was faced with a thick enveloping forest. Staring into it, it seemed darker than the world outside. I knew there were wolves and every other creature in there. I was faced with a decision no seventeen year old teen should have to make.

Go into a forest and risk being eaten by wolves, or freeze to death.

The better question was, which way did I want to die?

I turned around then, walking back to the lake. I got on my hands and knees, digging around the snow.

Bingo, I found it. I pulled up a large rock, and chucked it at the ice.

My plan worked, the ice spider webbed, all the ice began to separate making a clear path to jump in the water. I answered the question in my mind, I would rather freeze to death and I would rather make it fast.

As I inched my way towards the cold lake, I heard a snarling behind me. My body tensed as I turned around, I shouldn’t have. I made eye contact with a giant wolf. The wolf strangely had a light dusty brown coat, and the brightest grey eyes. The wolf almost didn’t look like a wolf at all, it eyes almost held… emotion. And not just the, “I want to rip you apart and eat you,” emotion… well that too… but the wolves eyes were almost human.

While I was staring at the wolf, I saw more bright eyes coming closer in the forest; they were also growling and snarling. I turned around quickly, walking into the lake. I only made it ankle deep before I was tackled to the ground.

I shrieked as my head bashed into the cold snow, my hood was tugged off. I felt claws digging into my coat. I lay silent as four wolves circled me. The sandy brown one latched its teeth onto my hood and started tugging me through the snow. I felt another nipping at my ankles and legs, it hurt, the teeth and claws were sharp. I tightly closed my eyes wincing at the pain. I lost all fight, I couldn’t move, I couldn’t yell.

I popped my eyes open though, a sudden realization hitting me. I looked at the sky above me; the moon was giant and bright. I saw the tall pines in the distance coating the tall snow filled mountain. I heard rustling of little critters in the branches, and somewhere far off I could hear a bird calling out. I looked out at the dark and cold, yet beautiful landscape.

Before I blacked out, I thought to myself.

Not a bad landscape to die to.