371-380

Chapter 371 Worries Aplenty, King Ning Takes a Consort

The Lady of Xian had always been close to the Empress Dowager. If there was anything that troubled her, she would tell the Empress Dowager. However, she did not go to the Empress Dowager whom she was close to. Instead, she was alone with a grave expression. Her niece's marriage had something to do with the Empress Dowager and she was not too pleased with that. A prince who was related to the Empress would be none other than King Ning, who caused a huge furor.

The Empress Dowager wanted the Lady of Xian's niece to marry Feng Yuzhen? Mo Xuetong was worried.

This was not a suitable marriage. Given the Empress Dowager's expertise in plotting, this should not have happened.

No matter whether it was in status or position, it was not a suitable match. Lady of Xian's family did not have a high position in court. At most, the young lady was just a daughter of a fourth or fifth-grade official. At the most, a title like that would make her a second consort of Feng Yuzhen. Did the Empress Dowager want to find Feng Yuzhen a second consort? Even so, that girl was already considered to be marrying up. Why did Lady of Xian not agree to it?

Even though Mo Xuetong felt anxious, she did not reveal it at all. A faint smile appeared on her soft cheeks. She asked gently, "Lady, please do not worry. I already heard that your niece is virtuous and gentle. When will you bring her over for me to look at? Even though I want to go out, I can't since His Highness is still injured. It would be great if there is someone who can come and chat with me."

"I want to bring her along too but the Empress Dowager says she likes that the girl is gentle and sensible. She was summoned into court this morning. Rou'er has never been to the palace and I am worried that something will happen to her in the palace. She just turned 15 and her character is weak. It is so worrisome." Lady of Xian frowned and she could not hide how worried she felt.

The Empress Dowager had summoned the legitimate daughter of a lowly official to her. She was being too obvious! She did not even allow Lady of Xian, the girl's aunt to come along, which meant that the Empress Dowager was certain that the marriage would happen. While the Empress Dowager thought highly of King Ning, he did not have to come personally to take a look at an insignificant second consort! What did the Empress Dowager mean!

"Lady, rest assured, the Empress Dowager likes your niece and will definitely protect her. The ladies in the palace are usually kind and friendly, they will not allow your niece to get into trouble." Mo Xuetong smiled and comforted the woman as she tended to the tassels running down the table.

"Sigh, I can only think of it this way. I do have something to trouble you with, Lady. I heard that you own Xiuning Workshop and that the embroidered goods in there are amazing. I have something I need your help with." Lady of Xian changed the topic to what she came to the manor for, realizing that she wouldn't be able to get anything out of Mo Xuetong.

"Please speak, My Lady."

"If my niece's marriage is settled, she will get married here in the capital. His Highness wants me to prepare what she needs and I have chosen your Xiuning Workshop for the embroidered goods. His Highness and I have always wanted a daughter but we did not have any more children after having a few sons. I treat this niece of mine like my daughter and His Highness dotes on her very much. I am afraid that the embroidered goods will not be prepared well or fast enough, so I hope that you will be able to rush the work for us and see if our stuff can be done first."

An embroidery workshop like Mo Xuetong's Xiuning Workshop had embroidery maids groomed especially in embroidery. They also bought goods from outside and sold them in the shop. However, most of what they sold was bespoke items. Even though Mo Xuetong's Xiuning Workshop was not considered to be the best in the capital, it was one of the best workshops. They were many customers and it would be a little troublesome if the customers made a rush order. The orders were all lined up according to when they came in.