281-290

Chapter 281 The Fifth Princess Falls into the River and Saved

"Miss Su, do you want me to prove that I composed the poem?" Mo Xuetong asked, raising her brows.

"Of course, you can only say that it is yours with proof. Does the Princess have no way of proving it?" Su Mei'er looked extremely satisfied. So what if Mo Xuetong was a princess? The Princess Royal only had the affections of the Emperor and the Empress Dowager. She did not have any true power. Mo Xuetong was her goddaughter and did not have any support.

Compared to her, a first miss of a noble family, Mo Xuetong was just the country-bumpkin daughter of a rich man. She did not believe that Mo Xuetong would have any way of proving that she had composed the poem. However, her face stiffened before she could even show how pleased she was when she heard what Mo Xuetong had to say.

"I said that I composed the poem, but Miss Su said you've seen the poem in the palace. Since Miss Su cannot say who wrote the poem, then does it mean that Miss Su is making things up? How can Miss Su prove that what you said was the truth? It can't be that only what you said is right, can it?"

Mo Xuetong raised her brows lightly and spoke with a gentle smile. However, she did not stop there, "Miss Su, do you think that you are very trustworthy or do you think that I, the new princess acknowledged by the royal family, has a bad reputation? Is that why you can just wave your arms and just say that you feel that I have committed plagiarism? Miss Su, where do you think the royal family stands?"

Su Mei'er's smile froze. Her face cycled between red and white and she could not speak. She was furious and ashamed. She glared at Mo Xuetong hatefully, wanting to sew her lips together.

Mo Xuetong could not be bothered with how Su Mei'er felt. She said clearly, enunciating every word, "The consort selection is decided by the Empress. When did the Empress pass on this right to the imperial noble consorts!"

That was harsh! The young ladies who had joined Su Mei'er earlier all could not help but lower their heads. Their expressions were extremely interesting.

The Empress was the one in charge of the consort selection, and she would be the one looking at the poems. Furthermore, everyone knew that the Empress and Consort Su had not been on good terms in years. They just had not torn through the veneer of civility yet. Imperial noble consort Su gave birth to the eldest royal son, King Chu, Feng Yuxuan, whom the Emperor doted on very much. However, the Empress did not have any sons and only had her title.

The two of them were like fire and water. It was impossible for the Empress to give Consort Su the power in consort selections. If the people who were all brought into the palace belonged on Consort Su's side, how would the Empress be able to rest easy?

Everyone only recalled then that while Mo Xuetong had become a princess mostly due to luck, she was a true royalty now. In terms of the dignity of the royal family, no matter how nicely Su Mei'er put it, they should all believe in someone from the royal family. The dignity of the royal family is not one that anyone can besmirch.

Furthermore, there was no proof now. They only had a statement made by Su Mei'er. If they were to really drag in the dignity of the royal family, no one would be able to get out of this unscathed.

Earlier, the young ladies had spoken up one after another. Those who had brains would immediately understand that Su Mei'er was framing Mo Xuetong. When they thought of how they had worked together with Su Mei'er to slander Mo Xuetong, the smarter ones immediately glared at her.

Su Mei'er flushed and paled. The colors on her face changed like a palette. She gritted her teeth and said, "Princess, since you cannot prove that you wrote it, then I naturally cannot prove whether you are speaking the truth or not. This matter..."