The Beginning

I have never experienced falling in love but, all my friends have. They make it sound so perfect. Almost as if it was filled with rainbows and unicorns and nothing can ever happen. They'd kept telling me how they found the one, but then the break-ups happen and all of the crying and whining starts. I've seen it all and let me tell you it ain't pretty. I may be inexperienced when it comes to love, but I'm wise enough to know how it all ends. They all end badly, some worst than others.

Many would think all teenagers have had their first kiss, their first make-out session, their first keg stand and all those fun stuff but, not me. I'm technically not a wallflower but you wouldn't catch me first on the dance floor during a school dance. When it comes to guys, well that's another topic. My friends have told me that I like to push guys away or keep them in the friend zone. Which I've been told many guys don't enjoy. But what can I do? I liked it that way and I planned on keeping it, at least until that summer. 

I've always prided myself as a strong independent woman who doesn't need a love interest but, being the third, fifth, and seventh wheel of the group gets a bit tiring from time to time. My friends would try to set me up with their boyfriends' friends to make sure I don't feel left out. I understand where they're coming from but nothing really came out of those potentials. No sparks. No fireworks. No chemistry. So who would have thought one summer can change all of that? In my case that guy is Jake.

Jake Winstones. Your normal acquaintance. He lives next door to us. We've practically known each other since we're in our mothers' womb. He used to be one of my closest friends. Wait, not close but he used to be my best friend. Ever since we started high school, and he started hanging out with those arrogant, "cool" jocks, we've drifted apart. So I have now downgraded him to an acquaintance. He plays for our school's football team. But of course when your school is the state champion every guy would want to be part of the winning team, UCK!!! There's nothing really wrong with him we just live in two different worlds. 

One thing I am certain about Jake is that he has the most amazing eyes in our school. You can read the girls' washroom stalls for proof. Maybe that is why he's labelled as a ladies man. Just add his light brown hair to that and you can almost hear every girl swoon and sigh the moment he stepped on the school's parking lot. I've even caught a couple of my friends drool over him. Funny but a little bit scary.

Anyways back to my story. It was the summer before our senior year. 8 more months then I am out of that town! I was keeping myself busy in my mom's flower shop when my dad pulled over in an RV. My mom immediately rushed outside and started yelling from the sidewalk and, like always, people stopped and listened to them.

"David! What is this?!" My mom yelled.

"Sheila, I have great news." My dad replied. He struggled to get out of the front seat.

"Oh. it better be great news." My mom mumbled as she walked back to the store.

"Can you believe your dad?" She asked me, standing behind the glass. "Renting an RV. What is he thinking? Camping in the back yard?" She went on and on and on.

I remained standing behind the desk and listened to her rant. One thing you should know about my mom once she opens her mouth there is no stopping her, and that's what I did. She could your ears off if you let her.

"Guess what!" My dad said as he rushed in, shutting my mom off. "We are going camping!!!!" I could hear my dad's excitement in his voice.

"Aww David I love your enthusiasm, but the yard isn't big enough for the RV." My mom replied with a sarcastic tone. "We can get Marissa and you pop the tent though.

"What are you talking about Sheila?" He asked my mom.

"Well, you don't mean outdoor, in the mountain camping. Don't you?" My mom asked him with a surprised tone.

"Well of course!" He said to my mom. "The best part is that the Winstones are coming." They both stared at each other awkwardly. Just silence.

"Have fun". I said to the both of them. My mom then gave me a quick glance of "oh you're going". Parents what can you do? You live under their roof, you follow their rules.

When we got home my parents and my younger sister, Nancy, quickly packed their stuff. I, on the other, laid on my bed and stared at my closet. What do you bring for camping anyways, other than tons of bug spray. Nancy skipped to my room rolling her pink suitcase.

"Marissa, where are your stuff?" she asked me. I sat up and pointed at my closet.

"There, it's all in there," I said.

"Why aren't you packed yet?" She said as she opened the two sliding door of my closet.

"It'll be fun, I'm excited." She said as she pulled out a black duffle bag and threw it in front of me. I sat up and watched her throw clothes in the bag.

"What are you doing Nancy?" I asked her.

"Helping you pack, at your rate you'll never be able to finish." She said with a smile.

"It's okay, go run downstairs. I'll finish what you started." I told her with a smile. She grabbed her pink suitcase and skipped out of my room. I picked all the clothes on the floor and threw it on my bed.

"Well, lets get started" I thought to myself.

After an hour or so of packing and cleaning my closet, I have managed to fit one week of clothes in the duffle bag that Nancy pulled out earlier. Would have been more if I knew what to pack for camping. Don't get me wrong, I love the outdoors but I don't dream of living, sleeping, cooking and going to the toilet with bugs and the wild animals. 

I headed downstairs in time for dinner. Washed my hands quickly and sat in the dining room. We ate our dinner and of course went over our schedule for the entire we were there. My dad had printed out a waterproof itinerary for our family and the Winstones during the whole trip. Can you tell my dad is excited about camping? His plan included everything I don't want to do like campfire, fishing, parlour games and sharing a tent with my sister and Agnes, Jake's older sister. Imagine three girls in a tiny tent. It is anything but fun.

************************************

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed the first chapter. Vote and Comment below in ways of improving it. I am still an amateur writer and new to this. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN.