𝟻𝟾

I just keep running. Further and further.

I have never felt such a terrible pain, except when I found out that my dad is dead.

Who can I trust anymore? I feel like the whole world is against me, like there is no one who really tells the truth.

He promised me he would never leave me again, he promised my brother he would never hurt me. Well, here we are. And I feel like someone ripped my heart out.

Everyone knows the saying "to break someone's heart." It's a metaphor. But I feel like it's not one right now.

It's five minutes till 3:00. I know my brother needs me, and I need him. But what I don't need is JJ standing next to me. I can't see him right now.

However, my brother is leaving now. I have to say goodbye to him, otherwise I would only hate myself more.

God, I'm honestly at my lowest point. My eyes are swollen, red and so is my face. Everyone will know that I have been crying.

But for my brother, I put all my strength together, I put some water on my face to wash it, and I go to the others.

After 5 minutes I am there. They have already put the boat in the water, and Pope and Kie look at me like I'm a freaking ghost.

But then I hear sirens from behind. I turn around and a police car drives up.

"JJ?" calls Kiara nervously.

"Yeah, yeah get back on the boat." he says quickly.

But then I see my brother get out of the car. I immediately run up to him and take him in my arms. "John b!"

I need that hug, even if he doesn't know why.

"No f'ing way." says Pope.

"You've gotta be kidding me." says JJ to his friend.

He didn't look at me or talk to me once. It's better that way too, I think he knows that wouldn't really help John b.

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin." smiles John b.

"It wasn't easy bro, but I got the Phantom for you." JJ tosses the keys to my brother. "-and she runs like she was made yesterday."

"Where's Sarah?" asks John b suddenly.

"I thought she was with you?" I say, confused.

I can't tell you how hard it is to pretend to be "normal" and like everything is fine after finding out something like that.

"No, we got separated in the swamp." explains John b. "She said she was gonna meet me here."

Pope shakes his head. "No, no we haven't seen her, man."

"Okay, well, I'm not leaving without her."

"John b, look at me." JJ puts his hand on John B's shoulder. "I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, you've got plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay? Once you get there, lay low, all right? Hang out for a couple of weeks and they go overland, cross the border at Brownsville, you got that? Brownsville."

"Yeah, yeah. Brownsville." John b. mumbles. he gets on the boat. "Hey, hey." He gets tears in his eyes. "I'm sorry for basically... throwing us off a cliff with this whole treasure hunt thing."

"Hey, John b, yo... we were bound to run off a cliff at some point, right?" Says JJ.

"Yeah." Smiles John B with tears.

"At least we did it together, though." JJ takes Kie and Pope in his arms. And then Pope gives me a hug. "Pogue style." JJ adds.

"Pogue style." Whispers John b.

"Get out of here! Please." Says Kiara with a smile.

"We'll see you in two months, down in Mexico." Says Pope.

"Hey, wait-wait a second." John b tries everything to hold back his tears. "Tell Sarah I said goodbye, okay?"

"We will." I say. I look up at my brother, tears in my eyes. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too." Says John b sobbing.

"Okay, get out, now." I say. We push the boat and John b drives off.

Pope and Kie stop at the dock, and then all at once, they kiss. I notice JJ looking at me.

"Mia, listen to me, I-"

"I don't want to listen to you, JJ." I say on the way to leave. But then I hear sirens. Two police cars pull up.

"Move. Hands up! Hands up!" Says a guy from the FBI with a gun pointed at us. "We're too late. He's gone. God damn it!"

"All right, where the hell is he?" Shoupe asks us. "Where the hell is he?! JJ? I see you're livin' up to your name. Pope, how about you? This isn't a fucking game! Emilia, where's your brother?!" Shouts Shoupe. But no one answers.