𝟹𝟺

M I S S I O N

"Alright, you guys got rope?" asks John b, sitting on the bus.

"Got it." replies Pope.

We are now on our way to the Crain House to get the gold from the well. It's already evening, and as planned, dark as well, so we won't be noticed so quickly.

"Grappling hook?"

"No, I don't have a grappling hook." Pope looks confused at John b. "We're not Batman."

"Pulley?"

"Check." comments Kiara.

"Dark clothes?"

"Got it." replies Sarah.

"Flashlights?"

"Check." says JJ.

"All right, good." says John b then finally.

"Will you stop quizzing us?" I ask.

"Yeah. We're ready." states John b, and John b stops the bus.

"Let's go get rich, guys." chuckles JJ.

"Filthy rich." I add.

"Yeah. Hell, yeah." mumbles Kiara as John b gets off the bus to open the door for us. "Let's go boys..... and girls."

"Wait, wait, wait." says John b and we stare at him expectantly. "I wanna say thank you, guys. Seriously. It means a lot to me that you're here tonight."

"Always." says Kiara, rolling her eyes, a smile on her lips.

"Of course, man." says Pope.

"My man." says John B as he and Pope do their hand check. Sarah smiles slightly at John B, and he smiles back as JJ then breaks the silence.

"All right, we done with the circle jerk? Can we go do this?" asks JJ, with a rope over his shoulder.

"Yeah, let's hit it, guys." I walk out of the bus behind Pope.

"Let's get that wheat in the water." he says, jumping off the bus.

"Weed? I'm up for weed." JJ looks at Pope, who is standing in front of him, smiling.

Normally I would have commented on this now to make fun of JJ. But this all feels weird right now. He seems like he's mad at me, he's distancing himself from me more and more, and we haven't spoken in two days.

"I said wheat." sighs Pope.

"After you, alley-oop." We climb over the wall of the house, and make our way to the wooden folding door.

When suddenly, the light on the house comes on, shining on us. We all flinch, and quickly crouch down.

"Shit" Sarah gaps.

"Flashlights!" I whisper. I feel my heart beating a little faster.

"Okay, so she has motion sensor lights." Pope pulls off his hood and takes a breath.

"We could, uh... move really slowly, maybe?" suggests JJ seriously.

I give him a confused look.

"Yeah, that's not how it works." explains Pope.

"Oh, shit. Let's throw a rock at it." whispers John b convinced.

"That's a really good idea, actually. Let the axe murderer know that we're here." comments Kiara.

"Throw a rock at it?" repeats Pope.

"You guys have a better idea?"

"Literally anything but that." Kiara states.

"What about the breaker? In the circuit box on the porch. We used to play hide-and-seek here as kids. And if we were brave enough, we'd go all the way up to the porch. I've seen it." Sarah suggests.

"No, no." John B shakes his head. "You're not going in the house alone."

"Watch me."

"Crain chops people into pieces." JJ declares again.

Sarah looks over to Jj "If you believe that, but she's like what, 85?"

"Yeah somethin' like that." replies JJ.

"She's probably barely still kicking." she continues.

"Here. I'll go with you." says Kiara to the blonde girl.

Pope looks up at the two girls, who are standing up. "Okay, we'll wait for your signal."

"Hey!" calls John b. "Be safe."

"We will." replies Sarah, and the two girls start walking.

At that moment, JJ turns Pope's head, with his hand on Pope's cheek, toward him. "Be safe." whispers JJ.

"I'll be so safe." Pope puts his hand on JJ's shoulder. "I'll be safe for you."

"Can you guys stop? I'm gonna kill you." says John b. The two boys look at each other for a moment, then back at John b.

"But how would that keep us safe?" questions Pope.

"Why can't I go with them?" I then ask.

"Because I'm not letting you." Says JJ, not even looking at me. Wow he can talk.

„And you think you can just decide that?" I reply, looking at him. JJ takes a deep breath, still not looking at me for a second, and ignores my question.

"Guys, they said when Hollis disappeared-" JJ begins but Pope interrupts him.

"That you should shut the eff up!" Pope turns upset to JJ, who just gives a short whistle in response.