𝟷𝟿

THOSE BRUISES

„Hey, save some waves for me, Mia!" shouts JJ, looking at me. I'm in the water right now, getting on my surf board.

I love to surf. I always have. And to be honest, surfing with JJ is the most fun. After all, he's just the best at surfing, well, after me.

For someone who has never surfed it might be hard to understand. But when I surf I can just let go of all my worries. All my problems disappear. I am in my own world and I want the moment to last forever. It's a bit like singing for me.

„Be careful over there!" JJ calls to me, as I surf a big wave.

I have to admit, I hate it sometimes that he sees me like a little, innocent girl. He acts like I'm 5 years younger than him, when we're just 1 year apart.

„-you don't wanna hurt yourself." he finishes.

„I will." I say back.

---———————-

"Oh my god I missed surfing so much" I say as I walk into my room at the chateau.

I am not a person who would simp for anyone. And I don't do that for JJ either. I'm more someone who just keeps quiet, keeps my feelings to myself, and just doesn't talk about them. That's one point where JJ and I are quite similar. Because he would never simp for anyone either. People adore him, not the other way around. It has always been the case that girls adored him and stood in line for him. And he knows that too, maybe that's why he has his self-confidence.
He would never admit his feelings just like that, if he has such feelings at all.

He flirts with me for fun, I guess.

"Yeah, me too. Because of all the shit we totally forgot" JJ stands in the doorway, shirtless and still wet from surfing.

But this boy is just hot, you can't deny that. So I can't help but stare at him sometimes.

I notice him, staring at me with a smile. "What?" I ask with a smile, looking up at the boy.

"Nothing." JJ snickers, shaking his head. I stand in front of my closet, in my bikini and also still wet from surfing. But I have a shirt on that goes over my legs. A shirt from JJ. I wanted to surf like that, because I'm still very insecure sometimes. JJ walks into the room and towards me.

"I really want to know what you are writing in your notebook all the time" he laughs and is about to take it when I stand in front of him.

"It's silly, just some thoughts for my songs" I say.

"I want to read the thoughts too" he smiles and tries to get past me to the book.

"JJ!" I laugh and JJ tries to push me away. "Ouch!" I then scream briefly, but then act normal again.

JJ stops immediately. "What's wrong?" he looks down at my hips.

Shit.

"Nothing" I mumble, and pull my shirt down again. JJ immediately notices that something is wrong and pulls my shirt back up without asking.

Fuck.

"Mia!" he exclaims in shock. He looks down at my hips, where there are quite a few bruises. On my hips, and my stomach. "What the-" I quickly pull ny shirt back down.
"Who did this to you?" he asks seriously and in a very loud tone, which kind of scares me.

"It—it was just an accident." I stammer, JJ noticing how my voice breaks as I talk.

"Mia, it's me, don't lie to me. Not this time!" he puts his hand to my cheek. "We've been through all this before, so we can skip the part where you lie to me."

"I-" I get tears in my eyes at the thought of it.

"Whoever this was, I swear I'm gonna—" he says clenching his fists, as I interrupt him.

"Ra-rafe" I stutter, a tear rolling down my face.

That's it. I said it.

"Rafe? Y—your fucking boyfriend, Rafe?" JJ looks to the side, clenching his jaw, laughing slightly. "I'm gonna fucking kill that bastard!"

"No, JJ. Please..." I sob, and JJ turns back to me. "Please don't go to him, it's okay, just don't".

"no Mia, it's not okay! Have you had a look at yourself? And I'm pretty sure your accident with the straightener wasn't an accident either.... This fucking son of a bitch, goddamn!" he kicks his foot against the bed and I flinch for a moment. „Does he do this often to you?" asks JJ very seriously. I can see JJs anger going up in him.

"No..." I lie. I just don't want to tell JJ the truth, because he would literally kill this guy, with his bare hands.

JJ comes closer to me, pulling me into a tight hug. HI can see how he has to pull hisself together for not losing it.
"It's okay Mia, you're safe with me" he then comforts.

I have been afraid to tell him the truth for so long because I know what he is like. He would do anything to protect me, no matter what. And if someone hurts me, it's over. And I know that.

JJ was never convinced that Rafe was my boyfriend. He always hoped that we would break up. Because he knows what Rafe is like. He knows what Kooks are like. He hates them, the way they are and their attitude. And he thinks that I definitely deserve better.

I didn't want to tell him, because JJ knows very well what it feels to be beaten every day by someone close to you. And I know, that he doesn't want me to go through that too. But I don't want him to loose it. I know what he's like, I know that he would probably be beating the shit out of Rafe if I didn't ask him not to do it. But because I did, he won't do anything, knowing that this was the only time he did that. Which was a massive lie.

--——————————————

"You really think it's out there? Like, no bullshit?" asks Pope. We sit outside the chateau, in the hammocks.

"our father thought it was" answers john b.

"But do you?"

"After hearing his voice on that tape.... I think I do"

"Only one way to find out" Pope and John b give each other their hand check.

"Look, we're gonna find it, you know? Even JJ believes" says Kiara, looking at JJ, who is still in thought and staring at me, thinking about what he just saw.

"Oh my God, JJ, do you really believe?" John b questions.

"Totally. Wait. Are we talking about four mil?"

"Four hundred mil," Pope and Kiara simultaneously correct the blond boy.

"Jinx" says Kie.

"I'm gonna dream about shipwrecks." JJ puts his head back. "Good night, Birds!" he calls.

"Good night, bird shit!" replies John b.