A New Family

In the end, she became more than what she expected. She became the journey, and like all journeys, she did not end, she just simply changed directions and kept going. 

It's the day of the trial and things were crazy in the house. Everyday we got calls from the high school and the elementary school saying that the kids' parents were trying to get in and see them. At one point I almost drove to their old house to confront their parents, but I knew doing so could potentially ruin Travis' chances of getting custody of them. How they got out everytime they were arrested I have no clue. 

The twins were skipping school to give testimony and Bryan was being pulled from prison as well. Convincing him to testify against his parents was such a difficult task that I had had to go to the prison to speak to him about it. It was the last thing I wanted to do, but he could give more convincing evidence than I could because he was the literal evidence and I knew that he would want what was best for the kids. He had made me promise several times when we were still together that if anything ever happened to him I would do everything in my power to take care of his younger siblings. 

"Kas! Let's go!" Buck yelled from downstairs, snapping me out of my memories of seeing Bryan in the prison.

"I'm coming!" I yelled as I hopped down the hall trying to slip on my heels, while simultaniously trying not to fall on my face.

"Hurry up!" Travis yelled knowing it would piss me off because I was the one always rushing them.

"You try putting six inch heels on while going down the hall in a tight professional dress!" I yelled back going down the stairs as quickly and carefully as I could without falling down the stairs like a cartoon character.

The guys snickered as we exited the house and hopped into the black SUV. Isabella sat quietly next to me in the far back along with Julian. There was no music and no one spoke. I could see that the silence was making her anxious like it was doing the same to me. 

This was going to be a heavy next few days and the atmosphere in the truck showed that. I just prayed that this single moment in the truck would on happen once. 

As we pulled into the Court House parking lot we all silently got out and walked up the steps. I could feel an eruption about to occure from one of the twins. 

"Alright I can't take this anymore! Someone say something!" Isabella erupted, making me smile when I realized how similar she was to me even though she wasn't related to me.

"Isabella, we're all just worried about how this is going to go" I replied rubbing her back, with a motherly smile.

As we were going to walk into the court room my phone started to buzz in my purse. I held up a finger to say I'd be in, in a minute. As I pulled it out of my bag I saw that it was Lou which meant it was related to the show. 

"Hey, Lou can this wait I was just about to go into the court room" I answered quietly looking at Sam who waited just outside the door to the court room.