Chapter 2

I don’t know why but I love romance stories with the twist of the woman being pregnant. So anyways…on with the story!

Affections and Attention

Chapter Two

                Her morning sickness had finally passed which made her feel ten times better; although she could never seem to find Kyoya when he wasn’t working. She didn’t want to disturb him really but it was his child and he did have a right to know. Haruhi had told her to try and tell him before he went to bed because telling him in the morning would make him crabbier. He wasn’t a morning person.

                She took a deep breath and rubbed her stomach once before entering his study, telling him it was time for him to sleep. Although he didn’t like being pulled away from his work, she could manage to talk him into it by saying he wouldn’t be as brilliant without proper sleep. He grudgingly shut his laptop and stood up stretching. He pushed his glasses up higher on the bridge of his nose and brushed past her.

                “Kyoya…” She started, reaching for him and lightly grabbing onto his wrist. She bit her lip, feeling a lump in her throat as she tried to find the right words. She looked up at him and found him glaring down at her. He jerked his hand away and she withdrew, a bit hurt. She should have been expecting this reaction, but she needed someone to comfort her.

                “What is it Hisoka?” He asked, a bit harshly. He straightened up to his full height, looking down at her through the glare on his glasses. She knew that he was very annoyed with her, which meant something had happened during work to make him more agitated than normal. She swallowed hard and sighed. Maybe she should wait until another time.

                “How was work? Did something happen?” She asked. He relaxed slightly and started walking out the door. He had thought for a moment that she was going for something, on a personal level. He knew that he had pulled away on purpose and he knew it was only a matter of time before she asked why he wouldn’t spend time with her like a proper couple should but…he wasn’t ready and he didn’t want to be. He didn’t even know where to begin when it came to trying to have a relationship with his wife.

                “Trying to discuss a business deal but the man is a moron. He can’t see reason when it’s right in front of him. The deal would benefit both of our companies,” he said, shaking his head slightly. He approached his room and stopped, looking back at her with a slightly raised eyebrow.

                She stopped and bowed her head, realizing this was where she would say goodnight, leaving him to himself…again. “Goodnight Kyoya…” She brushed past him this time; giving up on trying telling him that she was with child.

                He watched her walk away, eyebrows furrowed. The slight slump of her shoulders, indicating she had been defeated. She walked a little slow too, and he knew that she was definitely not happy about something. Normally he would have asked what was wrong but he didn’t want her all over him for caring. He did have a question to ask her now that he was pulled away from his work.

                “Hisoka, hold on a moment,” he said, adjusting his glasses again. He watched her turn around, looking at him curiously. He never stopped her to talk to her. “There’s a dinner party tomorrow night with one of our business partners. Please dress nice for the occasion.”

                She sighed and nodded, turning around and walking away again. At least he would act like a couple while they were there. She could at least enjoy it even if it was only pretend. Events like these weren’t often so she always tried to impress him even though she knew it would never work. However, it gave her the chance to see the old Host Club again. They always managed to make her feel better.