Ice Cream

You couldn't believe your ears.

"Leaving?" You say incredulously.

"Left," Your Mom corrects, looking a little sad herself, "they left early this morning."

"So why didn't they go with them?" You eye the Twins suspiciously as the lounge together on one of your sofas. Wanda's hair lies in a messy bun on top of her head while Pietro's sticks out in obtuse angles. When they look like this, it's hard to believe that they're dangerous. "He didn't even say bye!"

"They weren't needed for the mission. It was all very last second." Your Mom replies as she pokes your nose. "He'll call when he can, but until then, it's breakfast time - what do you want? We have cereal, toast, Nathaniel's baby food, or eggs and -"

"I'll have a bowl of cereal to go, please." You replies as your Mom nods, understanding; exam week was just around the corner. Looking at the Twins, you watch as Pietro now holds your baby brother at arm's length, looking increasingly worried about having the child in his hands.

"What about you guys?"

Nathaniel yells loudly and wiggles, causing Pietro to quickly pass him to Wanda who passes him to Laura.

"I know what you want, little guy." Your Mom says in a baby voice as she tickles him. "Do you want some toast again, Wanda?"

The brunette perks up.

"With jam?"

Your Mom laughs.

"Yes, I could never forget the jam."

Wanda smiles at her and when your Mom softly pats her head, you instantly thought of Lila and Cooper, who were still sound asleep in their beds, completely unaware of your dad's absence.

"He was going to take them fishing today, y'know?" Your Mom looks at you sadly. "This is the third time he has broken a promise to them because of this job and it really isn't fair."

"Y/N -"

"He also promised to drive them to school tomorrow but I guess that isn't going to happen, is it?"

"Wanda and Pietro have kindly offered to help with the school run."

"And why are we stuck babysitting these two?!" You snap quickly. Nathaniel begins to wail in your Mom's arms, loud and ugly sobs. "Not so long ago they were classed as dangerous people and now they're here, lounging around our house as if they're family!"

"Y/N -"

"No, Mom, save it. I'll go tell my brother and sister that dad isn't here again and then I'm going to the library to study. I can't be here right now."

When you turn to go and stomp upstairs, you freeze; slightly shocked to see Lila and Cooper standing awkwardly at the top of the stairs.

"Dad's gone?" Cooper asks.

Your Mom cuddles Nathaniel as she replies, "Yes, sweetheart."

"Oh," he replies glumly before clumsily hopping into his room and slamming his door shut. Lila runs down the stairs and launches herself into you. You hold her close and sooth her when she begins to cry.

"I was...going...t-to ask tonight," she says between sobs.

"Ask what, baby?" Your Mom replies, walking over to the two of you and kissing Lila's head. She only cries harder.

"It doesn't matter anymore!"

You can feel the wetness forming on your neck, the delicious mixture of tears and snot. Behind you, Wanda stands and when her brother doesn't copy her, she drags him up by the arm.