The Truth

That night, after Lila, Nathaniel and Cooper are all in bed, you find your dad in his room, folding the laundry, and you tentatively knock on the bedroom door. He looks up and motions for you to come in.

"Hey kiddo," he greets.

"Hey, dad."

"You okay? Need a fresh towel?"

You smile and shake your head.

"So...you aren't okay or you don't need a fresh towel?" he asks.

"I'm fine," you laugh. "And I don't need a new towel yet."

"Good, thanks for clarifying with your old man."

You sit on the bed; legs crossed and nervously fiddle with your hands. The last time you pried about his work, it didn't end well.

"You know the Twins?" you quickly blurt out.

No going back now.

"Yeah...they're a pain in the ass at times, but I know them."

"Well, I won't mention names, but someone accidentally mentioned something today...and I just want to hear it from you."

He has stopped folding laundry now and is giving you his full attention.

"What's been said?"

"That one of them, I don't know which, has scary, supernatural powers..."

You can feel your heart hammering in your chest and your palms are damp with sweat.

Your dad looks at you and sits on the bed with you. He sighs.

"I suppose I should tell you...the younger ones, they probably won't notice this stuff, but you, you're just like me, you don't miss a thing." He laughs and clears his throat. He seems nervous too. "Wanda and Pietro, they have special abilities which they, at first, did use against us, but when we needed their help most, they were there and if it wasn't for them, the casualties would have tripled I'm sure..."

"What kind of special abilities?" you ask.

"Wanda, to put it simply, can use mental telepathy. Pietro can move exceptionally quickly. Or as Maria originally put it to Cap: he's fast and she's weird."

"Got that right." You mutter and your dad hits your leg.

"Y/N." he warns.

"What? She was right."

"Don't make me regret telling you this information, Y/N. I trust that you're old enough to know some of this information."

You nod.

"But you're not old enough to not have a bed time. So go on, get yourself ready for bed."

You smile at him, give him a quick hug and pad from the room. As you reach your bedroom, you close your door behind you and slide to the floor. You're unable to believe it. Supernatural powers. No wonder Wanda managed to scare your Auntie Nat. Seeing Wanda use her powers is enough to scare anyone.

You knew they were weird, you just didn't know they would be this weird.