16: SCARS

━━ THE SWORD SLAMS DOWN ON YOU,

and you barely block it. Your breath comes out in short puffs, your feet planted firmly on the ground as you try to push them back.

The sound of metal against metal rings out through the forest as you slip. Your sword clatters to the ground with your opponents at your throat in seconds.

You stare into their blue eyes burning with adrenaline.

"Again!" Dream shouts, pushing himself off the tree.

Punz sighs, lending you a hand and helping you to your feet.

"Is this really necessary, Dre?" You ask, wiping the sweat from your brow.

"Yes," Dream said, handing you your sword. "I don't need you getting killed out there."

You scoff, "Okay, I may be bad, but I'm not that bad. May I remind you when I took out Punz after he cut me on my leg? Which by the way, I still have the scar," You said, glaring at Punz, who holds his hand up in surrender.

"I think scars are pretty cool."

"Hurt like a bitch."

"At least I didn't kill you."

"Wow, thank you so much!" You said sarcastically as Punz laughs.

Dream silences both of you with a look. "I'm not saying your bad, but you have the potential to be better. Besides, did you have anything better to do today?"

"Yeah, I could be helping my brother."

Dream shrugs, "Help yourself first. Go again. And this time, don't drop your sword."

You roll your shoulders, getting back into stance as Dream counts down.

As soon as he hits one, both of you surge forward, swords clashing together. You pull back, hoping to get a hit in, but he does the same, and you meet in the middle once again. You close your eyes, breathing deeply and trying to remember the tactics drilled in your head for the past two hours. You pull back, spinning to get more momentum, and bring your sword back down.

With Punz channeling most of his strength on pushing you back, you grab the back of his knee with your ankle and yank him forward. He barely stumbles, but it's enough time to get a rough kick to his side. He lands on the ground, but as soon as you go to land a hit, he moves back onto his feet.

You clench your teeth together.

He was unfairly good.

Punz, slightly winded, back up a bit, and it becomes a distance battle. You switch weapons, grabbing your bow and an arrow. Punz trades out for a crossbow, keeping it loaded in one hand and his shield in the other. You take your first shot, which misses.

Nothing new.

You don't stick any, most blocked by the shield, but at least your aim was on point.