New Years

4 months later
    "Are you coming to that New Year's party tonight?" Will asked Fiona.
    "Of course." She responded, packing up her computer. Her office was much more decorated and lively now. After 4 months at her job, she was able to buy an apartment. She was planning on unpacking with Will, Matt, and Jess.
    Even though she still hated that Matt was dating someone, he was right. She got along really well with Jess. She decided not to be mean to her anymore. That was really selfish of her.
    "Here's my apartment." She said as they stepped in. There were boxes everywhere. The only things she had gotten out were essential, like her bed and clothes. She had also unpacked her tv.
    "Are you a supporter of leaving your Christmas tree up after Christmas?" Jess asked, noticing that no Christmas decorations were up.
    "Of course. I have mine in a box in the back." Matt and Jess went to get it.
    "How long have you been eating takeout?" Will teased, seeing her lack of silverware and how empty the fridge was.
    "Why do you think I'm asking you guys to go to restaurants with me so much?" She asked, smiling.
    "I bet you're a wonderful cook." She shook her head.
    "That's something Will can teach you how to do." Jess said, setting the Christmas tree up.
    "Are you guys ok with Christmas music after Christmas?" Fiona asked, pointing to her tv. They all said yes.
    A few hours later, after the rest of the apartment was ready, they were all decorating the Christmas tree together. Will had made the most delicious hot chocolate ever. They were all laughing about a slam they had gone to before their holiday break.
    "Jess and I actually met on New Year's eve last year." Matt said, looking for a ladder to put the star on top of the tree.
    "Tell me about it." Fiona responded. She had to fight through all the negative thoughts in her head telling her to scream at him for always being with Jess. For always talking about her.
    "Thank you guys for helping with this." Fiona said as they left.
    "Of course. See you tonight." Matt said.
    Fiona put a light lavender dress on for the party. As she put makeup on, she didn't recognize herself in the mirror. Her hair had grown so long she could almost sit on it, and the dark circles under her eyes had faded into a normal color. She was happy.
    "Hey, can we talk?" Matt pulled Fiona over after they had been at the party for a while.
    "I might be a little drunk. I'm not sure that's the best decision." Fiona giggled.
    "I am too. We probably won't remember this, but I've been meaning to ask you something."
    "Ok. Go ahead." Matt looked around, and signaled for her to follow him into the hall.
    "I know I didn't really know you super well in August, but you've seemed off since then." Fiona wasn't sure what to say. She had been acting like everything was fine, but she still had a crush on Matt.
    "I don't know. I don't remember." She responded. I don't think I want you to myself, but I know I don't want you with anybody else. That was how she wanted to respond. He probably didn't want to hear that.
    She went back into the party. She was offered more drinks, but she knew she was driving home that night, so she had to be sober.
    She knew she couldn't avoid Matt forever. But if they kept this secret to themselves, they would never have to talk about it. They would just dance around it until the day he broke up with Jess. She held out hopes that this would happen someday.   
"10! 9!" The party began to count down to midnight. She didn't have anyone to kiss, so she decided to grab her bag and leave after she wished everyone a happy new year.
    "3! 2! 1! Happy New Year!" The crowd shouted.
    She saw couples everywhere kissing. She was about to walk out the door when she saw familiar blonde, curly hair.
    She tapped the woman on the shoulder. It was a hunch, but she thought she knew who it was.
    "Yes?" The woman turned around. It was clear she was drunk, but those blue eyes told Fiona she was right.
    "Alison?" She asked.
    "Who are you?"
    "I'm Fiona. From childhood?" A flicker of recognition was in Alison's eyes. Fiona was about to continue when she saw a guy putting something in Alison's drink.
    "Wait!" She yelled as Alison reached for her drink. She drank it anyway, and fell limp in Fiona's arms.
Cliffhangers are so fun
Clue for next chapter
🎶you booked the night train for a reason🎶- Champagne Problems by Taylor Swift
Comment feedback