012

𝕰𝖒𝖔𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖈𝖍𝖎𝖑𝖉𝖗𝖊𝖓

"ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴛʏ ᴄᴏɴᴛɪɴᴜᴇs ᴛᴏ ʀᴜɪɴ ᴍʏ ʟɪғᴇ."
-Bill Watterson

Now and then I can forget about the life I had before the Games, but then I am hit with the constant reminder that I am never going to see my family again

Now and then I can forget about the life I had before the Games, but then I am hit with the constant reminder that I am never going to see my family again. More specifically, I am never going to see Mateo again.

Oh, what I would do to see my brother one last time before my inevitable death. The most I could do was wander through old memories from many years ago, like the time Mateo threw a tantrum about how his carrots were soft and not crunchy, he never liked cooked carrots. The days he would feed me his food because he didn't like the way the felt in his mouth, that's what made him special to me. I envisioned him now, sitting in his fancy suit and finding new things about the life around us. If I were there then he'd repeat everything he had learnt on the day to me, and if I paid enough attention then I would also be learning something new. He was my teacher, and I was okay with that.

"So, Marlowe, tell us about home?" Gwen never liked silence; it was obvious with how she was constantly bombarding me with questions as if she genuinely cared.

"What about it?" I wanted to avoid the questions about home as much as possible, it was my weakness, and I could dare expose that side of me. At least not to them.

"Living conditions? Family members? What's it like?" I shook my head at her false interest. She was leading me to think she cared when in reality she would use it against me.

"It's not like anything here, but I'm sure that's obvious." Questions with simple answers I was fine with replying to, but anything near related to Mateo was immediately shut down. Yet Gwen never seemed to take the hint.

"What about siblings? You have a younger brother, right? I heard-"

"Gwen, I think that's enough discussion. Let the girl eat in peace." I was thankful for Anika. Something about her aura made me want to forgive her no matter what happens. She reminded me of a cool cousin who was always supportive of their younger relatives. It was a shame she got caught up in all this mess, she could have been a lovely person. 

We were left with silence, an awkward silence. Gwen was itching to ask more, that much was obvious. Once done with her food she instantly got up and walked out, and eventually so did the rest of us.