000

𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊

'ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴡᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ᴄʜɪʟᴅʀᴇɴ ᴡᴇ sᴇʟᴅᴏᴍ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ғᴜᴛᴜʀᴇ. ᴛʜɪs ɪɴɴᴏᴄᴇɴᴄᴇ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇs ᴜs ғʀᴇᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴇɴᴊᴏʏ ᴏᴜʀsᴇʟᴠᴇs ᴀs ғᴇᴡ ᴀᴅᴜʟᴛs ᴄᴀɴ. ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʏ ᴡᴇ ғʀᴇᴛ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ғᴜᴛᴜʀᴇ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʏ ᴡᴇ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇ ᴏᴜʀ ᴄʜɪʟᴅʜᴏᴏᴅ ʙᴇʜɪɴᴅ'
-Patrick Rothfuss

 ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʏ ᴡᴇ ғʀᴇᴛ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ғᴜᴛᴜʀᴇ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʏ ᴡᴇ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇ ᴏᴜʀ ᴄʜɪʟᴅʜᴏᴏᴅ ʙᴇʜɪɴᴅ'-Patrick Rothfuss

My parents had left the house at dawn and as it began to hit mid-day, I worried that something had gone wrong, because of my young age I couldn't quite understand what was happening and I was quite surprised to see my parents had come home. After all, you leave a child alone for many hours without any explanation and no contact their minds roam to the worst possibilities. My father had an expressionless look on his face whereas my mother was in tears. My eyes watered as I approached the two. "Sweetie, in a few years' time you may be taken away from us, but you'll be fine. I promise." Those were the only words spoken for hours and I hadn't understood what they meant. Men with suits invaded the town, walking back and forth with guns in their hands.

My Mother collected resources for the town's market. Things like berries, anything you could feed on. She'd always bring me along and informed me on what ones were good and what ones weren't.

My father was a lumberjack, he was the reason we had warmth in our house. He'd bring back bits of lumber that he snuck in. He had taught me how to use an axe. Making sure I had the right form and was ready in case something happened.

Then there was my younger brother, Mateo. The light of my life. He meant so much more to me than anyone else, his smile was infectious, and his laughter lit up the room. I would be willing to do anything for him, even if it meant trading my life and innocence for his.

Once I had turned 8 years of age was when I was being taught all these things. They piled on new things every day never once allowing me to have a break.

If only I had known why