2. NEST base

I walked up to the gate of the NEST base, guarded by soldiers. Captain Lennox was already standing there, waiting for me.

He raised his head from a file he was holding,, ah, you're here already? you're 5 minutes early" he said
,, I know it's better to come sooner than later" I joked,, I guess we can start then, follow me" he replied with a slight chuckle in his voice. I was surprised he didn't even ask for a full name or anything, maybe he was the one reading the applications.

After Lennox showed me around, we were making our way through the halls and stopped at one of the offices. Lennox knocked on the door, a tall dark brown-haired man stepped out, I assume he is in his late twenties. I shifted on my feet, getting nervous ,, oh William ,, I didn't expect you here soon" the man said ,,and who is this?" he questioned, shifting his gaze to me ,, Ratchet that's your new employee we hired" the captain announced to the brown-haired man ,,oh yea now I remember, come in" he motioned for me. i looked at Lennox, he made a signal with his hand that he will see me around. I only nodded and followed Ratchet inside.

He motioned for me to sit down, i sat down in front of him and got mentally prepared for what's gonna come ,,so, I should introduce myself to you. Like William said my name is Ratchet, I am a the chief medical officer on this base" he introduced himself ,,its pleasure to meet you, I'm Nerissa Milton, " i said with a small smile ,,tell me more about yourself Nerissa" he said ,,well.. I'm 19 years old,i come from Poland, I was supposed to be a nurse a few years ago but I chose to become a doctor. " i said ,,why did you choose to become a doctor if i can ask?" he said with slight curiosity in his voice ,, i want to help people, like my fathet did before he dissapeared" i replied.

,,Dissapeared you say, how?" ratchet asked ,, i dont know, only thing the cops found was his car in a very bad shape, who knows what happened that night. His body was never found" i told ratchet. I still remember that night when cops showed up at my doorsteps, telling me this.

,, what about your Mother? " he asked with puzzled expression on his face, i looked at him,, she moved away to Italy, she started thinking that there was somebody who went after my dad and then would come for us. I refused to go with her because i wanted to stay here " i replied and added ,,so yea, thats how it is". Ratchet only nodded. We sat there in silence for a minute, i didnt even dare to say something. Ratchet made the first move after a few minutes and picked up a few papers next to him, handing them to me ,,here are some instructions about the base and the medbay where you'll be working. There are more informations about the rules here and all that crap" ratchet said and rolled his eyes a little at the word 'rules'. I giggled a bit and took them with a silent thank you.

Before we started taking again his phone started ringing. He e picked it up and immideately stood up, motioning for me to come along. I quickly stood up and ran along with him to the medbay ,,whats going on?" i said while trying to catch up with him, he's fast ,,something must have gone wrong with one of my patients" he replied with angry tone in his voice.

When we got to the medbay we entered, well more like busted in, seeing the seizuring patient, i assume he is a soldier from the looks. While pulling on gloves Ratchet says ,,Nerissa give him 3 miligrams of carbatrol and hand me a stethoscope, its all in the upper cabinet right there" He pointed at one of the dark Blue cabinets in a rush while holding down the seizuring soldier. I picked up a needle from the counter while reaching inside the cabinet for the drug.

I pulled the liquid out of the small bottle with the needle and trotted over to the already limp patient. I handed Ratchet the stethoscope and started pushing air out of the needle. When i pushed all of the air out i took his arm a plucked the needle in, pushing all of the liquid inside his body.

The monitor stopped beeping rapidly in a few seconds, i mentally sighed in relief ,,this is the third time it happened" Ratchet mumbles ,,why is he here? " i asked, Ratchet looked at me and said ,,he got shot in a training in his chest 3x times. Two missed his organs and the last one was in the corner of his heart. We took the bullets out and stitched him up but i think that the last bullet that went through the corner of his heart made a big problem there" i nodded and started thinking.

After a while of thinking and discussing, Ratchet said ,,lets take some blood and take it to the lab to see if really is cardiomiopathy " i nodded and went for the needed supplies while Ratchet prepared the patient. We took some blood and Ratchet sent me with it to the lab to give it to someone named Jolt.

After a few minutes i found the lab and opened the doors, at one of the tables sat a young man, i assume he is around 20 or 30. I walked up to him, my footsteps bringing his attention, he lifted his head and put down the file he was holding.
,,excuse me? Do you know where can i find Jolt?" i asked, he smiled ,,he is standing right infront of you. You must be that new doctor Ratchet hired am i right?" he said ,,yea thats me, im Nerissa" i said shyly ,,nice to meet ya, im Jolt but you already know that. Mind tellin me why Ratchet send you here?" He asked, eyeing the tubes in my hands ,,the pleasure is mine, Ratchet sent me here with some blood from a patient in a room A4, his name is Austin Beverly"
I replied, handing him the tubes, he took them and put a note on them
,,ill have them done in a few minutes,  a nurse will give them to Ratchet" Jolt said and motioned for a guy in White coat to take them, i nodded ,,well, i gotta go see if Ratchet needs help with anything, have a nice day!" i said and turned around to leave ,,you too" Jolt said and continued in his work.

I made my way down the halls back to the medbay to see if Ratchet needs anything. Before the last turn someone crashed into me, i landed on my back with someone on me. when i opened my eyes to see who is laying on my stomach i saw a young blonde haired guy, staring into my eyes.

,,watch where youre going human!"
He spat will standing up, i huffed
,, first of all, dont call me a human i have a name, and second of all you were the one who ran into me!" i said while standing up, who does He think he is? ,,watch your damn mouth!" he angrily replied, his eyes turning a bit darker color. No, i wont stuff my tail between my legs, he aint the boss of me ,,who the hell do you think you are?!" i growled, big mistake.

In a second he grabbed my neck and slammed me against the wall, staring straight through my soul like a predator. ,,are you really that stupid or do you not know who i am?"