Chapter Two

"Natty....Natty wake up," I heard someone call. I groaned and rolled over, pulling my blanket over my head.

"Nathaniel Rosalee Mendez, wake up for school," my dad called and pulled the blankets off of me. I shot up from the cold air hitting my body.

"Okay, okay I'm up," I said. I stood up and stretched my body then quickly made up my bed. I rummaged through my closet to find some clothes and walked into the bathroom. I turned on the shower and undressed while I waited for the water to get warm.

I hopped in and washed my body and stood in the water, not wanting to feel the cold air when I turn off the shower. After a couple of minutes I turned off the water and quickly dried off. I slipped my clothes on and started on my hair and makeup.

When I finished I went back to my room and slipped on my shoes. I walked downstairs and into the kitchen and grabbed an apple and a water. I grabbed my keys and bookbag. My dad seemed to have left for work already so I just left the house, locking it up. I got in my impala and drove to school.

•~~

First period was over and I was walking down the hallway when someone slammed my books down. I kneeled down to pick them up and stood back up. The girl who was loudly chewing her gum yesterday was in front of me with three other girls behind her.

"Sorry newbie," she said loudly, smirking while chewing on her strawberry chewing gum. I rolled my eyes, "It's fine, goodbye."

I started walking past her when one of the girls behind her grabbed my arm. She looked apologetically at me.

"I'm really sorry about her," she said. I smiled kindly at her.

"Lacey! Come on!" the blonde called Lacey over. Lacey said goodbye to me and went over to the girl.

I continued walking to Government and walked inside the class, taking my seat. Ms. Phillips had us take notes on the branches of government and gave us a small in class activity to do, nothing too hard or complex. When we finished she gave us our homework assignment and the bell for third period rang. I packed up my bag and headed to class, meeting Jeremy on the way.

"Hey," I said, smiling.

"What's up Nate," Jeremy said.

"Where's Neil?" I asked.

"He got sick," Jeremy said, shrugging. "Happens a lot actually," he added and chuckled.

We walked into class and took our seat by Josh. The lesson was pretty boring for an English class, one of my best subjects. We actually had to annotate poems today after we discussed The Metamorphosis and took a quick and easy quiz on it.

The lunch bell rang and all the kids rushed out of the classroom and to the cafeteria. Josh left us to ditch lunch and go out with Alex to get some "real food" which meant McDonald's more than likely.

Jeremy and I walked into the lunch room and grabbed our lunches, walking towards the table that held Austin. While I was walking the same girl from earlier pushed me and I dropped my lunch on the floor.

"Whoops," she said. I turned towards her and glared.

"What's your problem?" I asked, snarky and angry.

"I don't like you," she said bluntly.

I scoffed, "Makes two of us. Just stay away from me okay?"

She rolled her eyes and left for her lunch table. Lacey ran up to me.

"I am so sorry," she apologized again to me. I kneeled down and picked up my lunch tray.

"It's fine Lacey," I stood up, "Why do you hang with her?"

"I honestly don't know," she said. Austin walked towards me.

"Are you okay Nathaniel?" I nodded and smiled, "Can you get the janitor for me?"

​Austin nodded and left. I looked over at the girl and saw Jeremy talking to her, he looked disgusted at her. I sighed and went to put my tray up, Lacey following me. We talked for a short period until Blondie called her over. I sat down next to Jeremy and Austin and spent my lunch sharing food with them and talking about nothing.

Once lunch was over, Austin said goodbye to me and Jeremy and we left for our last class.

•~~

Me and Jeremy met up in the school parking lot and I followed him out to the music store he told me about last night. We parked and went inside.

"Whoa...." I said, looking around. Jeremy laughed at my expression and pulled me over to the vinyls and CD's. We looked around and I found some Green Day CD's and Slipknot CD's I wanted and bought them. Then we went to the instrument section of the store and played around with guitars and keyboards. I saw a particular guitar I wanted.

Note to self: Save money for this guitar.

We left the music store about a hour later or so and decided to go grab some food since it was almost 6:00 p.m. We stopped by the closest fast food restaurant and ate there. When we finished we parted ways and went home...