Chapter 26- Prep for victory

My eyes open again and I'm on dry land. My hand reaches across grabbing Catos. I can hear applause all around the arena. It's live from the people of the capitol. But anger overtakes me before I can register what it means. I jump on top of Cato hitting him in the chest

"You tried to leave me!" I cry "you tried to leave me alone!"

He rolls ontop pinning my hands to my side so I can't assault him anymore. But the anger dissolves into sadness. Catos body suddenly goes limp and he lands on top of me dribbling water from his mouth. I let him just crush me not making an attempt to move.

That's when it registers. We both won. That could be the only reason for applause. But why. Is it because we were both going to die had they left it. Imagine both their victors drowning. It wouldn't be the end they want and this is the alternative. I'm suddenly mad at myself for lashing out at Cato. Though his body on top of mine is making hard to breath.

I push his head to the side. Trying to see the sky but everything seems to contort into weird shapes and colours two ladders drop down. I feel somebody pull Cato off me and I try to sit up. Gravity instantly pulls me back down. I'm still gasping for air. His body seems lifeless as they drag it to the ladder. Another person comes over to me as well. The pull me up onto my feet I hunch over spewing water out of my lungs doubled up coughing. They guide me to the other ladder. I try to call for Cato but no words come from my lips.

I can't walk my whole body seems defeated so the person drags me quickly, they hold on to the first rung the other arm attached to me. The electrical current freezes us in place and it starts to rise. The arena starts to look smaller and smaller. I hear doors close behind us and the current dissipate. I fall immediately, not being able to support my own weight. I look around weakly but I can't see Cato.

"Cato?" I ask

People around look at me. But they don't reply.

Three Doctors is sterile gloves, masks and robes start swarming around me. Two grab under my arms and lift me onto a sliver table. I just let them take me. Weakly mumbling Catos name. I feel sharp prick enter my arm, it immediately sets me into fight mode. I lunch myself up ready to fight the attacker. But before I can I throw up all the water from my lungs into a bucket held by one of the doctors. That's defiantly why they saved us. We would've drowned from the inside. There would be no fight to watch. I fall back onto the bed exhausted from the effort of throwing up. The doctors leave the room

Cato

I rip the tube that made me throw up from my arm making blood spurt from it. I sit up taking a while to regain myself then try to stand. My legs instantly buckle, but I need to find Cato. I pull myself back up using the metal bed and head twords the door. Using anything I can grip onto for support. I push the door open walking into a deserted main lobby so I push towards the next door. I successfully make it in double the time it should take. Then I see Cato one more door a glass door. I start pushing myself twords it . a few doctors drain his lungs of water like the did mine. But he insnt awake yet. I need to get to him.

A capitol attendant notices my presence and puts down whatever she was reading to walk over. But she's just a barrier between me and the boy I love. I propell myself pushing my arms off the mantle pice I'm clinging too taking me and her to the floor. She squels as she falls and I crawl to the door pushing it only to realise it's locked.

I pound at the door with my fist screaming for Cato. I didn't realise how much I needed him. And now his not with me all I want is him. A doctor turns to look at me then goes straight back to Cato. It's a bad idea to distract them I decide. I'll just sit here instead. I'll make sure he stays ok. I see his eyes flicker open and catch mine. He smiles before his eyes fall closed again.